Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Handicapping odds of who gets added:

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    This really isn't about the Dayton or Omaha markets. This is about what program fits the conference better and is a better brand for basketball. And no offense, but you are talking about schools that have had to take road trips to Florida. Going to Omaha wouldn't be a problem.
    I agree Omaha wouldn't be a problem.

When Marquette joined the BE, there were posters from the original schools who thought travel to Milwaukee would be a problem. They got used to it.

VS

Quote Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
    X does NOT give the dayton market at all. The Dayton market is somewhat Bigger than Omaha. Creighton has better recent success than UD but "worse" geography. I hope for 12 w/ Creighton SLU and Dayton but not sure of economics.
    Would you mind making the case for Dayton? So far, I don't really see what they add. The First Four is nice, but I'd much rather a team playing in the tourney and adding tourney shares than one that's simply mentioned for the tournament's least-watched games. We will already have an Ohio presence with Xavier, I get what you're saying about the Dayton market, but does anyone other than Ohio State really truly give anyone any Ohio markets? Creighton at least expands the footprint, not only from a television perspective but also recruiting-wise. Any recruit that can go to Dayton can just as easily go to Cincinnati.

What has Dayton done to improve their program recently? Archie Miller seems like a good hire, is he likely to stick around? How new are the practice facilities and workout areas? How has recruiting been going? Is this a team ready to make a trip to the NCAAs this year?

I really don't mean this as an attack, I just want to know what it is Dayton brings that other schools like Creighton (with better attendance and a bigger footprint) or SLU (with brand new facilities, a better market, and a bigger footprint) can't bring.

Joe lunardi wants st joes in the conference. That's why he wants 12-14.

You mean this post?

Quote Originally Posted by Notherdude View Post
    100% disagree. No unconn or Cincy or any football teams. Look at mess of be right now. These teams will leave sooner or later and then it's right back to the same situation now trying to figure out who is invited and joins. Way all this realignment is going who knows where c7 league will even be when those schools would decide to leave. Take the best bball schools available now with 12 team league and build on that
    If so, it was in another thread. Regardless, I'm honestly asking why Dayton is a better team to add than VCU, St. Louis, Creighton, Richmond, Gonzaga, or any of the other teams that have been mentioned after Xavier and Butler. I'm not saying that to be close-minded, I'm saying that because, as your other post pointed out, you want to take the best basketball schools available now and build on that. What's the case for Dayton being one of those 5 schools?

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    You mean this post?

If so, it was in another thread. Regardless, I'm honestly asking why Dayton is a better team to add than VCU, St. Louis, Creighton, Richmond, Gonzaga, or any of the other teams that have been mentioned after Xavier and Butler. I'm not saying that to be close-minded, I'm saying that because, as your other post pointed out, you want to take the best basketball schools available now and build on that. What's the case for Dayton being one of those 5 schools?
    I know I update my other post. I clicked wrong thread on my iPad. Links are all to close together for no mouse.

I don't know that dayton is the better choice. Looking at stats, revenue, attendance both ud and creighton are about equal. I've never been to creighton and have never seen ud facilities that the players and admins would see. Which ever way this tips it's going to be getting a good team. I'd much rather see 12 team league though and make this league as strong as possible from very beginning

C7 + Bulter and Xavier. Does the conference add one or three? I am sure there are more pro / cons for each, but here is a quick look.

VCU
    Pro - Program on the rise. Smart as coach. Putting money into facilities, close to DC. New market. 5 NCAA trips with 3 different coaches since 2002.
    Con - What if Smart leaves?

Creighton
    Pro - 8 trips to NCAA since 1999. Facilities, fan support, consistently good program. New footprint into NE.
    Con - Distance from other schools.

SLU
    Pro - Big market. Sounds like they are committing $$ to athletics. Good add regionally if Creighton is added. New footprint into MO.
    Con - Lack of NCAA bids. Not a consistent winning program.

Dayton
    Pro - Fan support. Decent market that follows college hoops.
    Con - Lack of NCAA bids. In same state as Xavier.

If three are added I think two of them need to be VCU and Creighton. If only one is added I actually think VCU makes the most sense. Non a religious school so the religious moniker is lost, new market, success, and in the east near Georgetown.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    If three are added I think two of them need to be VCU and Creighton. If only one is added I actually think VCU makes the most sense. Non a religious school so the religious moniker is lost, new market, success, and in the east near Georgetown.
    Makes sense to me....

VS

My thoughts on Goose's nice quick-hitter...

VCU
    Pro - Program on the rise. Smart as coach. Putting money into facilities, close to DC. New market. 5 NCAA trips with 3 different coaches since 2002.
    Let's put that another way...

Pro - 5 NCAA trips with 3 different coaches since 2002.

They seem to be pretty good at hiring coaches.

Creighton
    Pro - 8 trips to NCAA since 1999. Facilities, fan support, consistently good program. New footprint into NE.
    Con - Distance from other schools.
    It's no worse than Tampa for distance.

SLU
    Pro - Big market. Sounds like they are committing $$ to athletics. Good add regionally if Creighton is added. New footprint into MO.
    Con - Lack of NCAA bids. Not a consistent winning program.
    Exactly right. It looked like Majerus had them trending up, but will that continue?

Dayton
    Pro - Fan support. Decent market that follows college hoops.
    Con - Lack of NCAA bids. In same state as Xavier.
    I'd add Archie Miller to the pro list, he seems like a keeper. But that lack of bids is a big con.

If it's one of the four, I agree with VCU. If it's three of them, I would leave Dayton out because at least SLU brings a new state, a new market, and is a good regional add along with Creighton. Program-wise, St. Louis is about on par with Dayton, but I think they have bigger upside. Creighton may not in as big a market as Dayton, but they are without question the most successful college basketball school in their state, whereas Dayton is at best fourth or fifth (tOSU, Cincy, Xavier, maybe the Ohio Bobcats?) in Ohio.

C7 + Bulter and Xavier. Does the conference add one or three? I am sure there are more pro / cons for each, but here is a quick look.
    Butler isn't a religious school.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Butler isn't a religious school.
    And I'm sure they would be happy if they weren't the only one.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast