Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article on Wilson and Burton

Jim is right this is worth repeating. Buzz Williams is the best ambassador and best salesman Marquette has ever had

"Truthfully, I didn't want to go to Marquette," Burton said. "But I fell in love with (coach) Buzz (Williams). And the more I thought about it, I just thought I could become the face of Wisconsin basketball."

Wilson agreed.

"All the way through, we both said we probably wouldn't be going to Marquette," Wilson said. "But Buzz was different than most coaches.

"He never talked to me about basketball. It was all about life and what I'd be doing 20 years from now. And Marquette is just a big family."

Johnny Rev - don't be shy about making sure your fellow Jesuit Fr. Pliarz has seen this, and understands how important Buzz is to MU, and not just athletics.

Buzz is not the best ambassador and best salesman Marquette has ever had. He is the best since Al. I hope Buzz exceeds Al's success but that will take a long time to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Buzz is not the best ambassador and best salesman Marquette has ever had. He is the best since Al. I hope Buzz exceeds Al's success but that will take a long time to achieve.
    Agree with that for sure. Also, it's harder to achieve a continuous level of success that Al had as the BB world has changed a lot.

I agree Gato. How is Buzz bigger than Al? Some of this Buzz is God stuff is a little over the top from some posters. He's a great young Coach, but still has lots to accomplish before you can say he's in the same discussion or even a better ambassador than Al. The whole country knew Al and still talk about him and that team 35 years later. Now that is an ambassador.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Thanks Jim. My daughter tried to keep me out of the picture, but I made it in! Sometimes you just have to be forceful!!
    Mac: putting the jumbo in jumbotron.
    "My contact didn't cite logic, he/she cited the NCAA rulebook." - IWB, 3/20/18

I misspoke. Buzz is the best amassador and best salesman for Marquette since Al. My move from Oklahoma to Oregon has left me with a bad case of "misspoke 101." I just can't get this time different down. ; - )

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzWilliams4Pres View Post
    I would be surprised if any freshman start next year... I see Derrick Wilson, VB, Jamil Wilson, Juan, and O'Tule as starters... With Gardner first off the pine. Jake Thomas will likely play good minutes also. I think we gotta remember as good as these guys can become, they will all be freshman... Plus Juan has looked like he is ready to contribute so I think he is going to grow.
    I think Jameel McKay will start next year. Honestly, I don't think the coaching staff could stop him from starting if they wanted to. Which will allow Jamil to play the 3. The question is, does that push Vander back to the 2 (meaning Derrick likely starts) or the 1 (getting Juan into the starting lineup?).

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    You can't start DW, Vander, O'Tule, Jamil and Juan. Not enough scoring. No playmakers. No shooters.
    Is there a running joke I missed about Otule's name? I can't believe that many people think he's Irish. As far as that lineup...it depends. Jamil and Juan can both shoot, and Juan could very well be a playmaker on that team. It depends on how much he develops in the next year. He has a very high basketball IQ. But no way McKay doesn't start next year.
    Last edited by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"; 11-15-2012 at 05:56 AM.

I think there is a lot of ways he doesn't start. He will need time to acclimate and I think it's a 100% given that if healthy Otule, Wilson, and Blue are starters. I think of the final two spots one needs to be a PG (De. Wilson, or Du. Wilson) ... Then I really think the final spot will be hard to hold Juan out of. Juan will know the system better and already be acclimated to the pace of the game. McKay will need some time to catch up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123