Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Tulane to the Big East

Quote Originally Posted by MayorCK View Post
    If you want to talk trash in your typical elitist Marquette fashion, come over to our board and do it. He was just making an observation that your team's "Big Time" persona is getting watered down by your conference decision-makers, he wasn't taking shots or looking for trouble.

By the way, didn't you just lose to Butler? Yeah, you did didn't you...

This is funny. UWM is what...0 for a lot....all time against MU and you are going to trash talk a Butler loss?

Please...go challenge Cardinal Stritch for second place in the city of Milwaukee...perhaps Alverno.

Seriously guys? Why are we ripping UWM? He was right. None of us should be happy Tulane was added. Maybe that was the only option, like MU88 said, but it's sad if that is the case. But let's get defensive and play the "my dad is better than your dad" game. (Meanwhile, this Maryland/Northwestern game sure is exciting. I'm sure glad this mess was started again so these two teams can battle it out in the future. Kill me now?)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Bruce View Post
    I take exception to your mean-spiritedness, because it is unnecessary. First, let me say I agree with the high school gym remark. Second, if you are using the rolling downhill wisdom, I would say Tulane is below us. I've heard nothing of this Northern Kentucky business you speak of.
    This coming from a fan of a team who just got rolled in Puerto Vallerta by Jacksonville and.....wait for it....Rider. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamostradamus View Post
    This is the problem with both PR and the AD. I suspect there are goings on by the administration, unfortunately the is zero evidence to support your and my conclusion. There has been no reassuring press releases, soft-ball interviews to calm down the donors, ticketholders and fan base. Instead, we are left to say, "Larry and Fr. P must be smart guys, or we wouldn't have hired them. And they must be doing things behind the scenes, so let's all trust that and rest easy."
    This is the kind of crap that has caused me to flee the other boards.

So Marquette should issue a press release after every phone call? Every meeting? They should continually update everyone everyday what the situation is? Really?

Because there has been some rumors posted on message boards about LW and Fr Pilarz, it is assumed that both of these guys are incompetant and therefore we will wind up in the Horizon League when all is said and done. So I will turn it around...

What are your sources that says that LW is doing nothing but sitting around and picking his nose? You are convinced that he is a boob and in way over his head, prove it. You don't feel that they are smart guys and doing their jobs, so present your case here....

Quote Originally Posted by Hamostradamus View Post
    This is the problem with both PR and the AD. I suspect there are goings on by the administration, unfortunately the is zero evidence to support your and my conclusion. There has been no reassuring press releases, soft-ball interviews to calm down the donors, ticketholders and fan base. Instead, we are left to say, "Larry and Fr. P must be smart guys, or we wouldn't have hired them. And they must be doing things behind the scenes, so let's all trust that and rest easy."

Here's one from October...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golde...174681531.html

"I feel real good about the new direction of the Big East," (Larry Williams) said. "We'll always be very mindful of where things go and if things do change, we'll always examine potential options. But right now we feel real good about where the Big East is going."

Honestly, I think people around here look for reasons to be pissed at the administration....

Quote Originally Posted by MU88 View Post
    You need 8 football playing members. If UC goes, you need to add another. You may want to add an 8 hoops school too. X replacing UC? Just a thought.
    They get ECU for football.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Here's one from October...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golde...174681531.html

"I feel real good about the new direction of the Big East," (Larry Williams) said. "We'll always be very mindful of where things go and if things do change, we'll always examine potential options. But right now we feel real good about where the Big East is going."
    Honestly, I think people around here look for reasons to be pissed at the administration....
    I am not looking to be pissed, I am looking for reassurance. I am sure Broeker and Larry are on this, but they should make sure the people who fill the stands know it. Alvarez has done a bunch of interviews in the last few months on conference expansion. Then more when Rutgers and Maryland were added. Right now, we are getting most of information from twitter posts from that West Virginia guy. What's MU's position on the addition of Tulane? I know from ESPN that 1. Cincy is wooing the ACC, Louisville and UConn are wooing everyone else, UNC's AD issued a statement on ACC membership to the students, and right now I am getting more info. about MU's plans from IWB and that dude who posted he saw Larry going to Fr. P's office. Seriously, that is all we know. And you have no problem with the information vacuum?
    Last edited by Hamostradamus; 11-27-2012 at 10:13 PM.

FWIW, the guy from West Virginia was wrong - he said St. John's & G'Town started the vote to disband. He said MU & DePaul were the only hoops schools against it. Wrong and wrong. Completely untrue, no such vote ever happened.

Here is the deal - I have no idea what the commissioners plans are, but he obviously has one - maybe its true, maybe Tulane was THE ONLY option, and if that is the case it is really sad. Here is what I do know......

Out of the basketball only schools there is nobody looking to disband. The basketball only schools are committed to sticking together, committed to sticking it out. Have they discussed a potential basketball only league? Yes, they have, but they know at this point the Big East is still their best option. Are the basketball only schools happy about the Tulane addition? No, and neither are the football schools, but they aren't exactly playing with an excess of time and options here.

What was done needed to be done, as much as that sickens us all, but attacking Tulane, UWM and each other isn't going to do anyone any good.

Are Larry and Broeker sitting on their hands? No. They are on the phone constantly looking for partnerships, looking for options, but at this point in time, neither MU or any of the basketball only schools are in a position to be calling any shots. That is up to the commish, and I hope to God Tulane isn't his final answer. I am glad that Mike Broeker is still in the house as he has spent years building up relationships in the Big East as well as with schools in the ACC, building relationships that will not only foster partnerships, but those that can deliver information. With Mike Broeker on MU's side, you can bet that any potential option will be known to MU.

People are concerned about Larry Williams and Fr. Pilarz as it relates to Buzz Williams, and I do understand that, but the current conference mess is a greater concern not only for the future of the program, but the retention of Buzz Williams. Buzz hasn't turned down a fistful of major programs to coach in C-USA 3.0.
    Last edited by IWB; 11-27-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

This is why this board rocks. Information vacuum = filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Are the basketball only schools happy about the Tulane addition? No, and neither are the football schools, but they aren't exactly playing with an excess of time and options here.
    My confusion is...isn't there a vote for any new membership? If so, how the hell did Tulane get enough votes to get admitted to the league?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast