Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: TJ Taylor leaves MU

One pertinent question that I dread asking. Did his transcripts ever make it through the clearinghouse? IIRC, one of the reasons he did not play in the ProAm was this in addition to being dinged up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    The only ones that really bother me are the ones that are staff initiated...like Roseboro, Newbill and supposedly Durley.
    Roseboro: Did the staff initiate? Did the kid initiate? I think it was mutual, after all parties realized he was in way over his head. Remember, he transferred to a smaller school, didn't get any PT and now transferred to another smaller school. People can blame MU, but he realized he was in too deep. If anything, blame MU for offering in the first place, but don't blame them for initiating.

Newbill: I will defend this one until I am blue in the face. There was a lot that went on here, all behind the scenes. Who is to blame? An overzealous 'reporter', a coach that tried to take control of a situation he knew nothing about and someone who was doing someone else a favor. MU did not back off the way it was reported. And no, I can't comment any further.

Durley: When a kid plays zero minutes his senior year in high school, is it really wrong to suggest he goes to prep school for a year to gain more experience? The way the media looks at it, apparently so.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

OK IWB...I will defer to you.

IWB-I am not sure on the Newbill one, but the other 2 are on MU for offering kids of poor talent. I just hope they do better due dilligence in the future finding the right fit. If you go through all the work of offering a kid of average talent, I believe you should honor it. But I know there is always more to the story.

I don't know that Durley was a poor talent. He was well-regarded in Texas before his injury and put up legit AAU numbers behind Ridley. I think we took a flier on a promising big, and instead of trending upwards, he regressed. It's unfortunate, but not every big-body with potential pans out, and he looked like one that wouldn't based on his senior year. He didn't want to go prep and prove it was an aberration, so he goes elsewhere. That doesn't mean he didn't have legit potential, just that he didn't continue to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by lougrant View Post
    It certainly appears that this defection wasn't staff initiated. On the surface, this just seems to be a case of a really immature kid. I place none of the fault for his departure at Buzz' feet.
    Don't do this. Just let the young man find his way without labeling him immature.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    We really need to have a couple years without all this turnover. This is getting embarrassing...? Yes, there is a 40% turnover in 2 years natiionally, but we are well beyond that...? Hope Todd comes back to stem the tide.
    What's to be embarrassed about? This is the norm EVERYWHERE except Madison. If there's a problem anywhere, it's an hour to the west where the coach is too stubborn to admit the guy he recruited isn't good enough so he keeps sub-par players on scholarship.

Schollies are one-year contracts. If guys either can't take advantage and don't deserve it to be renewed, or if they realize they can't live up to their end, whether because of a lack of talent, competitive fire, or personal issues, better to have them leave than waste both their time and Marquette's. As much as we may not like losing players, this is a GOOD thing and ensures the roster continues to be upgraded. Just because some programs haven't figured out how college basketball works in the 2000s (much less 2010s) that's their problem, not ours.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    What's to be embarrassed about? This is the norm EVERYWHERE except Madison. If there's a problem anywhere, it's an hour to the west where the coach is too stubborn to admit the guy he recruited isn't good enough so he keeps sub-par players on scholarship.

Schollies are one-year contracts. If guys either can't take advantage and don't deserve it to be renewed, or if they realize they can't live up to their end, whether because of a lack of talent, competitive fire, or personal issues, better to have them leave than waste both their time and Marquette's. As much as we may not like losing players, this is a GOOD thing and ensures the roster continues to be upgraded. Just because some programs haven't figured out how college basketball works in the 2000s (much less 2010s) that's their problem, not ours.
    Not so much the numbers, but how these things occur ala Mbakwe leaving at summer's end, the Acker situation, Hazel & Mbao being benched before transferring, obviously Maymon ( not MUs fault, but..), Smith, Roseboro, Newbill, Durley and now TJ. Understan there is going to be turnover/disruption in this day, but we seem to have a lot more unusual situations than other BB programs.

I think you don't hear that much about this at other schools, but it does occur. You are likely more aware because it is Marquette and because it contrasts with the school down I-94.

Last edited by Nukem2; 07-26-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast