Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This plan to fix one-bid conference tourneys might be radical, but it's also logical

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Having your best team in increases your league's exposure, the chance to earn tournament shares that provide revenue for the entire league, and give the entire country the chance to see the best possible teams compete in the tournament. Milwaukee wasn't going to be that Cinderella Sweet 16 story from a Dayton 16 seed game, but Oakland or Valparaiso from a 13 or 14 might have been. Better for the Horizon, better for the quality of competition in the NCAA Tournament as a whole.

Yet conferences have continued to use the tournament approach instead. Even the Ivy has a four-team tournament this year.

So I don't think the conferences agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Yet conferences have continued to use the tournament approach instead. Even the Ivy has a four-team tournament this year.

So I don't think the conferences agree with you.
    Maybe because no one has come up with the best of both worlds solution to having both a conference tournament AND getting the best team in. I've never seen this suggested before. Seems like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...-also-logical/

Zany Gary Parrish idea. Nonetheless, would be interesting to see how it would play out as a test some year.
    Caribou:

The article had me, it really did, until the 10-0 lead in the title game suggestion. Then, the article lost all credibility. I agree, though, something needs to be done to help the little conferences and at the same time maintaining the fun of having a tournament with having a bid on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoone2inchesTaller View Post
    Caribou:

The article had me, it really did, until the 10-0 lead in the title game suggestion. Then, the article lost all credibility. I agree, though, something needs to be done to help the little conferences and at the same time maintaining the fun of having a tournament with having a bid on the line.
    Why? Each conference can determine their own way of crowning a champ and therefore who gets the automatic bid. If a conference chooses to have a tournament, they have no one to blame but themselves if they end up with a situation like the Horizon this season.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    Why? Each conference can determine their own way of crowning a champ and therefore who gets the automatic bid. If a conference chooses to have a tournament, they have no one to blame but themselves if they end up with a situation like the Horizon this season.
    Actually, I think it would have been good for the Horizon in terms of national press coverage. Not NCAA credits so much though. Had UWM won last night, the Horizon League would have gotten its most national press since Butler made the NCAA Championship Game.

Also, I would have loved for Amanda Braun to eat her words from last year when she said (paraphrase), 'A 5th place finish in the conference regular season didn't warrant a post season tournament.' That would have been awesome to see her backed into a corner with her own words.
    Last edited by DavidBoone2inchesTaller; 03-09-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Caribou:

Actually, would love to see a game with the 10-0 scenario just for the weirdness of it all. I would think it would draw some incremental eyes to the game as well.

Also wonder how the oddsmakers would handicap the game - if they would have the regular season champs a 3 point favorite under normal circumstances would they simply slap on another 10 points or would there be more nuances to consider.

Also, I would have loved for Amanda Braun to eat her words from last year when see said (paraphrase), 'A 5th place finish in the conference regular season didn't warrant a post season tournament.' That would have been awesome to see her backed into a corner with her own words.
    That is pretty good right there DB!
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Caribou:

The 10-0 lead is silly, but no reason the rest couldn't be utilized.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12