Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Do you know what happened at 40-28? We started subbing.

the bench was beyond godawful today. Todd Mayo is so ridiculously inconsistent. His only four points were in garbage time, and he had some wide open looks. Juan...Deonte...Dawson...provided nothing all all.
    All the more reason I'm not sure whether it was the staff or players that disappointed me more. Starters did get back in and not produce, but what was left, 16 minutes? You don't start subbing on the road with a 12 point lead and 16 minutes to play. 5 minutes? Maybe. 2 minutes? Yeah, I'll definitely agree with that. But 16? Against a team that has fought back constantly at home to make games competitive? Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    All the more reason I'm not sure whether it was the staff or players that disappointed me more. Starters did get back in and not produce, but what was left, 16 minutes? You don't start subbing on the road with a 12 point lead and 16 minutes to play. 5 minutes? Maybe. 2 minutes? Yeah, I'll definitely agree with that. But 16? Against a team that has fought back constantly at home to make games competitive? Pathetic.

They weren't mass subbing...but subbing within the flow of the game. I will have to check out the statsheet but I think all they did was bring in Mayo for Thomas and Deonte for Otule. (I think I'm wrong about the last one.) Nothing outrageous.

Bottom line is that this team is offensively challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    The pieces just don't fit this year. Kind of a shame since we have potentially the best front court we have had in several years. The guards try hard, but they are just not talented enough to play at this level. Jamil has been an enigma. We have too many guys with the same skill set. Need some guys who can actually shoot consistently. These offensive droughts are killers.
    Do we really have the best front court we've had in the last several years??? I would argue it hasn't been close compared to years past. I won't get into tearing our guys down, but this year's crew has not been good.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    Do we really have the best front court we've had in the last several years??? I would argue it hasn't been close compared to years past. I won't get into tearing our guys down, but this year's crew has not been good.
    A big part of that is that Davante and Jamil have been played so much on the perimeter offensively to make up for the shortcomings of the perimeter group. Defensively, they have been ok. Its a flawed team that gets frustrated when it can't score.........

This has to be the most underperforming team I've seen under Buzz. 09-10 was losing games too, but those were close games to top-10 teams. This team just frustrates me. You can see the talent, but they don't have the first clue what to do with it.

It's like the scene in Swingers where Trent and Sue tell Mike that he's a bear and has huge claws and fangs and can't kill the bunny. This team can't kill the bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    I was excited because unlike several previous years, we had some height in the front court. If we just had average guard play, this would be a great group in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    I was excited because unlike several previous years, we had some height in the front court. If we just had average guard play, this would be a great group in my opinion.
    I still think the frontcourt is more of a problem than the backcourt. At least the guards are doing what they are supposed to do. Not really the case for Jamil, Davante, and the other guys up front. Every time Jamil disappears or Davante starts calling for the ball at the top of the key I just cringe. That's what's killing us, their inability to enforce their will on the game for 40 minutes.

The guards are doing what they are supposed to be doing?

Jake Thomas went 1-8, all from 3, and Todd went 2-9 (0-6 from 3). At best our guards are inconsistent. At worst, like our two-guards were today, they are a dumpster fire.

Jake needs to come off of screens - didn't happen today
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast