Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Providence Game Thread

We outrebounded them by 15...but we shot 34%...and they had 13 blocks......

So sad - almost an heroic comeback and ending. To give it away sucks so bad.

I really tried to think of positives about DW throughout the year and after each bad game he came out and had a serviceable performance the next time out (a low T-A ratio, solid d, less bonehead plays). But after tonight's game I finally woke up and realized, those serviceable performances he had were mostly in part due to the other players on the team stepping up- Jake hit shots, Jamil gets a few to fall, etc. When those people don't score, his performance goes from serviceable to poor and in tonight's case, flat out awful. A true PG makes the players around him better, not the other way around. MU doesn't need a PG who can score (although it would be nice), it needs a PG who can elevate everyone's game and get the job done in crunch time whether that be a score, stop or smart pass. Derrick is simply not capable of doing that and the players around him are not good enough to mask his inefficiencies. Going to be breaking out the nightly and daily prayer for Dawson and Duane to be able to step in and do that next year while consistently playing solid D.
    Everything negative -- pressure, challenges -- are all an opportunity for me to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Refs weren't the only problem brew.
    FIFY

We were called for 7 more fouls and in overtime Desrosiers got to pretty much mug people at will without getting called. Go watch that Gardner attempt again. Desrosiers hits him on the initial shot, the follow, the second follow, and finally gets called the fourth time. No way it wasn't a foul on Mayo. Were there problems with the team? Yes. There always are. But this was far from a down-the-middle game. Further, the refs completely changed how they were calling the game in OT on Marquette. Marquette was charged with 8 fouls in OT. Providence with 3, and one of those was the Fortune intentional. This game was not called the same at both ends in the extra frames. Especially when it came to Desrosiers.

Providence attacked the basket. We didn't. Good thing we were shooting well and rebounded.

I'm sorry brew but I just don't see it. At all.

Todd attacked the basket, got hacked by Desrosiers forcing him into a ridiculously awkward falling sideways shot, no call. Gardner got hit 4 times on one play, only on the fourth did they make the call. Otule got pounded under the hoop, no call. If you don't see it, you didn't have your TV on.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Todd was open. DWill bailed on him too early. I was not thrilled to see him inbound. Providence got the ball exactly where they wanted it to go.
    And why was he inbounding? Sure because he is a good passer, but also because he shoots free throws at the level of a 4th grader. Maybe Jamil Wilson should have been passing in and Wilson not even in the game.

And Burton attacking the rim in one of the OT's would have been nice also with all of the foul trouble they had.

This sucks.

Fine...not going to try to convince you. But you aren't going to convince me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    And why was he inbounding? Sure because he is a good passer, but also because he shoots free throws at the level of a 4th grader. Maybe Jamil Wilson should have been passing in and Wilson not even in the game.

And Burton attacking the rim in one of the OT's would have been nice also with all of the foul trouble they had.

This sucks.
    Spot on. The whole play was f*cked from the get go. A timeout would have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenlegal22 View Post
    I really tried to think of positives about DW throughout the year and after each bad game he came out and had a serviceable performance the next time out (a low T-A ratio, solid d, less bonehead plays). But after tonight's game I finally woke up and realized, those serviceable performances he had were mostly in part due to the other players on the team stepping up- Jake hit shots, Jamil gets a few to fall, etc. When those people don't score, his performance goes from serviceable to poor and in tonight's case, flat out awful. A true PG makes the players around him better, not the other way around. MU doesn't need a PG who can score (although it would be nice), it needs a PG who can elevate everyone's game and get the job done in crunch time whether that be a score, stop or smart pass. Derrick is simply not capable of doing that and the players around him are not good enough to mask his inefficiencies. Going to be breaking out the nightly and daily prayer for Dawson and Duane to be able to step in and do that next year while consistently playing solid D.
    I think you nailed it.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast