Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA coming to Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Litehouse View Post
    Can't be that, all these places are hosting and are smaller than the Kohl Center.
    Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence 12,400
    Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines 16,110
    Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena 14,000
    Intrust Bank Arena in Wichita 15,000
    Taco Bell Arena in Boise 12,644
    Viejas Arena in San Diego 12,414

I think Madison doesn't host because they're committed to either the HS tournaments or the new Big Ten hockey tournament at the Kohl Center now.

I'm sorry...not the arena. I have mentioned this before, but when they hosted the regional, I was told there were complaints from some of the teams and media about the hotels being distant from the KC and about overall accessibility via airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I'm sorry...not the arena. I have mentioned this before, but when they hosted the regional, I was told there were complaints from some of the teams and media about the hotels being distant from the KC and about overall accessibility via airlines.
    I can't imagine Des Moines, Wichita, Spokane and Boise fare much better than Madison in those departments. There's obviously a difference between the first weekend and the Regionals on the second weekend, which is what Madison hosted a few years ago, but I'm not sure why Madison doesn't try for the 1st weekend, other than the scheduling conflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by Litehouse View Post
    I can't imagine Des Moines, Wichita, Spokane and Boise fare much better than Madison in those departments. There's obviously a difference between the first weekend and the Regionals on the second weekend, which is what Madison hosted a few years ago, but I'm not sure why Madison doesn't try for the 1st weekend, other than the scheduling conflicts.

Actually the first weekend is worse because they have to find space for eight teams instead of four.

Look, I am just telling you what I was told by someone who would know. "It's hard for teams and media to get flights and be in a hotel close the Kohl Center" is almost a direct quote. I'm sure if it were important to them they would find a way, but since the KC gets so much use by UW and WIAA, it isn't a burning issue for them.

Madison has hockey to contend with, which makes it difficult. I don't know much about all of the cities, but Des Moines is a fit. They host the Drake Relays which is one of the largest track meets in the nation. They are prepared and equipped for events like this. People from Des Moines, Iowa State and Iowa would all buy tickets.

Boise on the other hand - why? They get the tourney almost every other year and you always see tons of empty seats.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Maybe Boise is one of the few west coast cities that put in a bid to get the games.

Here are the sites for 2016 - 2018.

I see the NCAA is now changing the early games in Dayton from First round games to First Four games.

I'd guess Milwaukee / MU must just put in for first / second round games, but once the new facility is built, I'd like to see Milwaukee / MU put in for the Regional Games.

2016 HOST ROUND SITE VENUE
    March 15-16 Dayton First Four Dayton, Ohio UD Arena
    March 17, 19 Providence First, Second Providence, R.I. Dunkin Donuts Center
    March 17, 19 Iowa State First, Second Des Moines, Iowa Wells Fargo Arena
    March 17, 19 NC State First, Second Raleigh, N.C. PNC Arena
    March 17, 19 Mountain West First, Second Denver Pepsi Center
    March 18, 20 Atlantic 10 First, Second Brooklyn, N.Y. Barclays Center
    March 18, 20 Missouri Valley First, Second St. Louis Scottrade Center
    March 18, 20 Big 12 First, Second Oklahoma City Chesapeake Energy Arena
    March 18, 20 Idaho First, Second Spokane, Wash. Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena
    March 24, 26 Big West West Regional Anaheim, Calif. Honda Center
    March 24, 26 Louisville South Regional Louisville, Ky. KFC YUM! Center
    March 25, 27 Big Ten Midwest Regional Chicago United Center
    March 25, 27 LaSalle East Regional Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center

2017 HOST ROUND SITE VENUE
    March 14, 15 Dayton First Four Dayton, Ohio UD Arena
    March 16, 18 MAAC First, Second Buffalo, N.Y. First Niagara Center
    March 16, 18 Marquette First, Second Milwaukee BMO Harris Bradley Center
    March 16, 18 UCF, Stetson First, Second Orlando, Fla. Amway Center
    March 16, 18 Utah First, Second Salt Lake City EnergySolutions Arena
    March 17, 19 ACC First, Second Greensboro, N.C. Greensboro Coliseum
    March 17, 19 Horizon, IUPUI First, Second Indianapolis Bankers Life Fieldhouse
    March 17, 19 Tulsa First, Second Tulsa, Okla. BOK Center
    March 17, 19 CSU Sacramento First, Second Sacramento, Calif. Entertainment and Sports Center
    March 23, 25 Big 12 Midwest Regional Kansas City Sprint Center
    March 23,25 Pac-12 West Regional San Jose, Calif. SAP Center
    March 24, 26 Memphis South Regional Memphis, Tenn. FedExForum
    March 24, 26 St. John’s, Big East East Regional New York Madison Square Garden

2018 HOST ROUND SITE VENUE
    March 13-14 Dayton First Four Dayton, Ohio UD Arena
    March 15, 17 Duquesne First, Second Pittsburgh CONSOL Energy Center
    March 15, 17 Wichita State, MVC First, Second Wichita, Kan. Intrust Bank Arena
    March 15, 17 Big 12 First, Second Dallas American Airlines Center
    March 15, 17 Boise State First, Second Boise, Idaho Taco Bell Arena
    March 16, 18 UNC Charlotte First, Second Charlotte, N.C. Time Warner Cable Arena
    March 16, 18 Detroit, Mercy First, Second Detroit New Detroit Arena
    March 16, 18 Ohio Valley First, Second Nashville, Tenn. Bridgestone Arena
    March 16, 18 San Diego State First, Second San Diego Viejas Arena
    March 22, 24 Georgia Tech South Regional Atlanta Philips Arena
    March 22, 24 Pepperdine West Regional Los Angeles Staples Center
    March 23, 25 Boston College East Regional Boston TD Garden
    March 23, 25 Creighton Midwest Regional Omaha, Neb. CenturyLink Center

Great to see Wichita host for the first time since the early 90's. I enjoy new cities that get the bid.
    March Madness starts in November

I saw by Goodman, that the 1st and 2nd in "name" is coming back in 2016.
    March Madness starts in November

Goo - true, Boise may be one of the few west Coasters to put in for it, but as long as they are using the crap pod system, is it really necessary to play out West?

"Ok, in Boise we have seeds 2, 7, 10 & 15 from the East region and seeds 4, 5, 10 & 12 from the South Region." Whoo Hooo!!!! Wait, why the hell are we in Boise?

Bradley Center - New Arena - NCAA 1 & 2 vs 3 & 4.... We had Marotta on our show last night. He said they love the 1st & 2nd round because there are 8 teams, more games and more action. I think there is one reason for smaller crowds and it is pretty obvious. When Milwaukee started getting the 1st & 2nd rounds at the Arena and then the BC, Marquette was not exactly a mainstay in the Big Dance. Sure, people liked seeing MU play in the NIT, but when the NCAAs came to town, the host school/MU fans bought up all of the tickets. Now MU is a mainstay in the NCAAs and people would rather travel to see them play.

On to the new arena situation, specifically the opposition. Marotta says the BC directly or indirectly employs 1,200 people, and is used between 180-200 times per year. Now if they build a new facility it will be used more than 200 times per year. He said when it comes to concerts, the large acts schedule 2 dates in Chicago, a date in Detroit.... and then they circle around and do 1-2 more shows in the Midwest. Usually decide between Indy, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Omaha.... Milwaukee is often overlooked. With a new stadium, Milwaukee wiull not be overlooked and will draw some of the top touring acts.

Ok - 200+ events a year and employing 1,200 people, not including the workers at hotels, bars, restaurants etc? How is this not a no-brainer?
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post

Ok - 200+ events a year and employing 1,200 people, not including the workers at hotels, bars, restaurants etc? How is this not a no-brainer?
    Some people are brain dead or are so cheap they don't want to part with any of their own taxed money for the good of the community.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast