Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
I was sitting on a plane a few weeks ago listening to the guys in front of me talk. One was an exec from Chik-Fil-A who was talking about their promotion giving away free sandwiches. A definite money maker. Gets people in the door, they almost always buy something else, and they might come back. As I got off, I told him I used one of his coupons. He asked if I bought anything with it. I said no, as I am a cheap bastard and all I wanted was the sandwich. I did not mention that I typically avoid paying $2 for a cup of flavored water. He said thanks and noted that I am an outlier. I have to think that this is a killer for Shake Shack. The shakes cost them little, they draw people in who spend enough to pay for it, they get their name out there, and somebody probably gets courtside seats out of the deal.
There is just one Shake Shack location and its in an area where not many regularly spend time. I certainly did not spend the gas money and the time to get there. I suppose some who work in the area or have reason to be there might have gone to get the shake. Chick-Fil-A just has far different dynamics going for it.