Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East vs. So-Called Power 5...

Big East vs. So-Called Power 5...

Big East 7, Big Ten 5
    Seton Hall over Rutgers
    Villanova over Michigan
    Villanova over Illinois
    Butler over Northwestern
    Georgetown over Indiana
    St. John's over Minnesota
    Creighton over Nebraska
    Ohio State over MU
    Michigan State over MU
    Wisconsin over MU
    Wisconsin over Georgetown
    Indiana over Butler

Big East 7, ACC 1
    Villanova over Syracuse
    Butler over North Carolina
    Providence over Florida State
    Providence over Notre Dame
    Providnece over Miami
    Marquette over Georgia Tech
    St. John's over Syracuse
    Boston College over Providence

Big East 2, Pac 12 2
    De Paul over Stanford
    Marquette over Arizona State
    Oregon State over De Paul
    Colorado over De Paul

SEC 5, Big East 4
    Xavier over Alabama
    Xavier over Missouri
    Georgetown over Florida
    Marquette over Tennessee
    Mississippi over Creighton
    Auburn over Xavier
    Kentucky over Providence
    Tennessee over Butler
    Georgia over Seton Hall

Big 12 2, Big East 1
    Creighton over Oklahoma
    Oklahoma over Butler
    Kansas over Georgetown

TOTAL -- Big East 21, So-Called Power Five 15

It's a great start and is certainly getting some well deserved notoriety. However, whether we like it or not the the perception of the league will be determined come March.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    It's a great start and is certainly getting some well deserved notoriety. However, whether we like it or not the the perception of the league will be determined come March.
    I think you hit it on the head, and honestly I think what the Big East is missing is that powerhouse program that competes for final fours and national championships... The Big 10 has Michigan St., Ohio St., Wisconsin, Michigan... The SEC has Kentucky and Florida... The Big 12 has Kansas... The Pac-12 has Arizona... The ACC has Duke, UNC, and Louisville...

All these programs may or may not be strong this year, but they are regularly in the discussion for contenders. You can count on each conference putting in at least one final four team every other year or so... The Big East just doesn't have that... All our teams just hang in that 2nd tier.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by MKE_GoldenEagleFan View Post
    I think you hit it on the head, and honestly I think what the Big East is missing is that powerhouse program that competes for final fours and national championships... The Big 10 has Michigan St., Ohio St., Wisconsin, Michigan... The SEC has Kentucky and Florida... The Big 12 has Kansas... The Pac-12 has Arizona... The ACC has Duke, UNC, and Louisville...

All these programs may or may not be strong this year, but they are regularly in the discussion for contenders. You can count on each conference putting in at least one final four team every other year or so... The Big East just doesn't have that... All our teams just hang in that 2nd tier.
    Unfortunately I agree with you. The depth of the league is proving it can go up against anyone. However, the top of the league just doesn't have those marquee regular final four contenders that the other leagues do. Hopefully some day, but it might be an uphill battle if football continues to drive big bucks to the other schools (not that our Fox contract is anything to laugh about).

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    Unfortunately I agree with you. The depth of the league is proving it can go up against anyone. However, the top of the league just doesn't have those marquee regular final four contenders that the other leagues do. Hopefully some day, but it might be an uphill battle if football continues to drive big bucks to the other schools (not that our Fox contract is anything to laugh about).
    This is all ********. Stop buying the ESPN power 5 hype

Some stats here on Big East vs. the Big Ten from a few fans of Marquette and the Big East.

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/775...4#.VKtoyWTF9ak

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    If what I said is "all bull$****" than staying on point, please explain to me who the marquee teams are at the top of the Big East who regularly compete for final fours?

Big Ten: MSU
    Big 12: KU
    SEC: UK, Fl
    ACC: Duke, NC, Louisville, Cuse
    PAC: AZ
    Big East: ?

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post

Well since I don't watch ESPN outside of live events, I haven't bought into anything. I just think he is spot on. A conference's perceived strength is based not only on its depth but by its quality at the very top.

The recent B10 "resurgence" in football is a great example of that. The B10 is perceived as improving because its three ranked teams all won their bowl games. (UW, OSU, MSU) However if you objectively line up the conference against the others, the only other P5 it likely wins a majority of head-to-head games against is the ACC and maybe the B12.

The BE needs a team or two to make noise in March. Villanova has the capability. Outside of that, unless someone really steps up and improves, I am not sure there is another one at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Well since I don't watch ESPN outside of live events, I haven't bought into anything. I just think he is spot on. A conference's perceived strength is based not only on its depth but by its quality at the very top.

The recent B10 "resurgence" in football is a great example of that. The B10 is perceived as improving because its three ranked teams all won their bowl games. (UW, OSU, MSU) However if you objectively line up the conference against the others, the only other P5 it likely wins a majority of head-to-head games against is the ACC and maybe the B12.

The BE needs a team or two to make noise in March. Villanova has the capability. Outside of that, unless someone really steps up and improves, I am not sure there is another one at this point.
    This is a valid point on why the Big East doesn't get the respect it deserves. We are as good as anyone top to bottom, but we do need that marquee team.

The Big 10 was considered down in football because Michigan, one of two marquee teams, was down.
    People long thought the ACC was still a great basketball conference because of UNC and Duke, while the conference was actually down.
    Big 12 football can't be good this year because Texas and Oklahoma were not at the top (most didn't see a Baylor or TCU game).

The casual fan will base their opinion of a conference on their marquee teams. On which team does the casual fan base the success of the Big East? Likely Georgetown.

Honest question:

In the old Big East, and I mean when the conference first started, who were considered the marquee teams?

As long as the conference stays strong, I believe one can emerge. I believe competitions breeds winners. If our conference stays strong, order to compete in our conference, you have to stay on top of things. You have to recruit well. You have to hire the best coaches. With all of that, an elite team should emerge. Louisville probably wasn't considered a top tier team, and now everybody knows them. The same could be said about UConn. Heck, Michigan State probably rose to that level. Hopefully we can be that team.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast