Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pearl to Auburn

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    The mistake Pearl made was not getting out before he got caught. You can get away with it in the NCAA as long as you aren't there when the hammer falls. Worked for Calipari, Carroll, and Kelly. Pearl just needs to have his bags packed and be ready to jog off to the next job when the NCAA comes a-calling.
    What Pearl was "caught" for is lying. Having the player over to the bbq is not a major violation. In line with what happened at Marquette. His offense with the NCAA, was lying to them. That is what got him in deep doo doo.

And telling a recruit to lie about it.........

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    What Pearl was "caught" for is lying. Having the player over to the bbq is not a major violation. In line with what happened at Marquette. His offense with the NCAA, was lying to them. That is what got him in deep doo doo.

Good luck to him, but the guy is a snake. To my surprise, one of the loudest and most Marquette-hating UWM fans posted some years ago that he was glad Pearl was gone, and that the inside of the program was like looking under a rock. Jeter had a good year with Pearl's players, and then the roof caved in. I suspect that there were some serious issues going on over there. What gets me about Tennessee was not what Pearl got caught doing. It was how he got caught doing it. It showed a definite pattern of behavior. He got canned for lying to the NCAA. This was shortly after he went through a messy divorce after his wife found out about the affair he was having by reading the credit card statement. Then there was the incident that got him exiled to Southern Indiana, when he apparently tried to talk a player into saying another team had committed recruiting violations, and secretly taped it. This is a guy who has made a career out of cutting corners and shading the truth. Auburn is going to have to pay the devil sometime.

His wife learned of the affair when the real estate tax bill for his mistresses' house came to Pearl's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    His wife learned of the affair when the real estate tax bill for his mistresses' house came to Pearl's house.
    that's freakin awesome....unless you are bruce pearl.
    "My contact didn't cite logic, he/she cited the NCAA rulebook." - IWB, 3/20/18

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Hmmm. OK, so the tax payment is a gift, which has to be combined with other gifts to the mistress, has to be below the annual exclusion to avoid any gift tax issues. Alternatively, it's compensation for services rendered (heh). If so, I presume she's subject to self-employment tax.

Either way, it's a curious case study on the tax consequences of the situation.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    Hmmm. OK, so the tax payment is a gift, which has to be combined with other gifts to the mistress, has to be below the annual exclusion to avoid any gift tax issues. Alternatively, it's compensation for services rendered (heh). If so, I presume she's subject to self-employment tax.

Either way, it's a curious case study on the tax consequences of the situation.
    Perhaps Bruce was considering half of the gifts as coming from Mrs Pearl on his tax return/annual gift limit???
    "My contact didn't cite logic, he/she cited the NCAA rulebook." - IWB, 3/20/18

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysfryboy View Post
    Perhaps Bruce was considering half of the gifts as coming from Mrs Pearl on his tax return/annual gift limit???
    "Here honey, sign this tax form. Oh, it's nothing. No, I don't know why it says gift tax return. Just sign it."
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    What do Pearl's enemies dating back to the 80s have with lying to the NCAA?
    He was only talking to the NCAA because of enemies dating back to the 80's catching wind and paying handsomely for a photo. Fair enough?

War Eagle. New arena. Pressure will be on Alabama, since most want Grant gone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast