Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Archie Miller re-ups with Dayton through 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    To tie into another discussion, THIS is why I want Lavin gone from St John's. The guy sucks in March. Since arriving at St John's, he has 1 Big East Tourney win. That's on his home court! Also has a 5-game losing streak in the BET. Zero NCAA wins, one NIT win.

Having a good RPI is nice for seeding and bids, but when push comes to shove, I would rather have guys that win. Lavin doesn't do that and hasn't since he left Westwood.
    I think St. John's could do really well with an east coast guy, like Hurley (either one).

Lavin made the tourney this year, but on the season there is not a single guy from the state of NY that averaged 1 point or more per game.
    The only east coast guy that contributes at least 1 point per game is Jordan, and he's from Philly.

Thus far for 2015 St. John's has one top 100 recruit, and the kid is from Louisiana.

I'm not saying you need east coast kids to win at St. John's, or that the east coast produces a lot of talent, but I just find it odd that St. John's doesn't have more east coast kids.

Sultan - you keep saying getting good schools into the conference is a good thing and it will move the needle. We get that and we obviously all agree. What you have yet to drive home is why Dayton is a good school that will move the needle?

I am strongly of the opinion that there will be no state schools and certainly no football schools. Stranger things have happened, but I do not see VCU, Wichita State, or anybody else. Butler can fit in with all the Catholics, but I do think the Catholic identity helps. Not only do they presumably have the same values, but some of the administrators know each other. Currently, the conference is made up of relatively small private institutions. They have similar objectives and challenges. That is different from having to fight with the state legislature over funding.

As far as where the schools come from, I am not as convinced that they have to come from the east coast. Maybe, but take a look at where the new members came from. Creighton was a surprise and an outlier, and at least in part a result of Jebbie politicking. But Xavier essentially replaced Cincinnati and Butler essentially replaced Notre Dame. I understand that the eastern schools would like to see more of the same, but the conference has been moving gradually west since they added Notre Dame. There just are not a lot of candidates on the east coast. I do not know how Xavier feels about Dayton. I ave always thought expansion was a matter of Saint Louis and....

I think in the eyes of Georgetown, Villanova, and the rest of the teams on the East Coast, any expansion would have to include an East Coast team. Right now it's 5 EC and 5 Midwest schools. For some reason, having a team out there is important to them.

I think in the eyes of Georgetown, Villanova, and the rest of the teams on the East Coast, any expansion would have to include an East Coast team. Right now it's 5 EC and 5 Midwest schools. For some reason, having a team out there is important to them.
    Well, the name is Big EAST......

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Sort of like BIG TEN...or BIG TWELVE...or PAC TWELVE...?

VS

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    Sort of like BIG TEN...or BIG TWELVE...or PAC TWELVE...?

VS

Pac 12 is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Heard that same thing from a Boston native the other day who was bitching about our conference

I pointed out the 14 schools in the Big 10, the 10 schools in the Big 12, and the presence of schools like Syracuse, Louisville, and Notre Dame in the ATLANTIC COAST Conference

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Pac 12 is accurate.
    Marginally...Boulder, CO is what, 800 miles from the Pacific Ocean?

Marginally...Boulder, CO is what, 800 miles from the Pacific Ocean?
    Oh...ha...yeah. I was going by the number!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast