Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Would we have to include someone like George Hill in a trade to offset salary due to our cap status?
    Hill or Allen, most likely.

I would also put a trade for a known, established wing or younger center (i.e. Myles Turner) as having the highest odds. Having arguably the best player in the NBA, who is only 27, you don't want to wait on players to develop. When Holiday/Middleton pass their prime in 3-5 years, there will be other stars wanting to play with Giannis. Having Giannis is a magnet to bring free agents to Milwaukee, that will not be an issue.

Some interesting rumors:

*Bucks are 1 of 3 teams looking to trade up to the #14 spot (Cleveland). If true, possibly targeting a certain player (Mark Williams to eventually replace Lopez, he can block shots and also defend on the perimeter. Tari Eason, Malaki Branham, Ochai Agbaji)?

*Jalen Williams (6'6" is rising up the draft board, initially considered a late 1st round pick). Long, a solid 3-point shooter that can defend. This is a popular choice if the Bucks make a pick.

*Dalen Terry and EJ Liddell fit the mold of wings than can shoot and allow you to play small-ball with their size and ability to defend. Only caveat with Liddell, I didn't like how quiet he was in the NCAA Tourney game against Nova. I like players that rise to the occasion when the lights are brightest (granted, just one game).

*Blake Wesley and Andrew Nembhard might be good options to fill the backup PG, combo guard role (optimistically, a Malcolm Brogdon role).

*I believe Wendell Moore and Max Christie will be quality SGs in the NBA.

*High ceiling but might take a while: Nikola Jovic (6'10" playmaker/shooter with size, would be a perfect 4 next to Giannis at C in small-ball lineup) and Patrick Baldwin. Question is, do you want to wait and be patient enough for those guys to develop?

*Jake Laravia (6'8" skilled player from Wake Forest that gives you size, solid shooting and some playmaking ability) reportedly has been in twice to workout with the Bucks. He can defend multiple positions, this was a need against the Celtics.

Hard to read what will happen, but some sort of trade feels likely. Part of it is good fortune, even after completing all due diligence, players end up better than projected and worse than projected. I think the Bucks are one of the few organizations in the NBA with a strong culture. Horst has only made two 1st round draft picks; DJ Wilson and Donte DiVincenzo. Relative to where they were drafted, Wilson was a miss but DiVincenzo was a good pick.

It will be interesting to see what transpires, a lot of different scenarios could play out.

I hate to trade a pick because at some point you need young players as Lopez, Middleton and Holiday age. This might be a great time to get a guy you think can play regular season minutes now, and develop into a playoff rotational piece in the near future. Maybe that is why they are considering moving up in the draft (I was surprised when I saw that one).

Your breakdown is really good.
    Picking where the Bucks are in the draft is always a crap shoot. Not sure Jovic makes it to the Bucks, but he might be a hard guy to pass on if he does.
    Don't know much about Laravia, but may need to find out if we keep the pick.

I hate to trade a pick because at some point you need young players as Lopez, Middleton and Holiday age. This might be a great time to get a guy you think can play regular season minutes now, and develop into a playoff rotational piece in the near future. Maybe that is why they are considering moving up in the draft (I was surprised when I saw that one).

Your breakdown is really good.
    Picking where the Bucks are in the draft is always a crap shoot. Not sure Jovic makes it to the Bucks, but he might be a hard guy to pass on if he does.
    Don't know much about Laravia, but may need to find out if we keep the pick.
    Definitely true. In terms of trading up, one stat that impressed me was that Ochai Agbaji shot 41% on 209 3-point attempts. That is a great percentage on a lot of attempts. Add in his athleticism and long arms, he has the ability to guard multiple positions. He would be ready to contribute from Day 1, having played 4 years in college, and you could eventually have a starting lineup of Holiday, Agbaji, Middleton, Giannis, Lopez. Granted, this would only be an option if they were able to trade up (and the Bucks might be targeting a big man anyway).

The Bucks do have some young players when you consider Portis (27), Connaughton (29) (assuming they can retain both), Allen (26) and Middleton turns 31 in August, who still has 4 or 5 years playing at a high level. Holiday just turned 32. Lopez is the sole key piece that you have to start watching for diminishing returns as a center at 34......which is potentially why the Bucks will be looking at big men if they try to trade up (Mark Williams, Walker Kessler).

Connaughton did exercise his option, so his intent is to come back.

Not sure what ammunition we would have to move up in the draft, but I would like Agbaji.

Connaughton did exercise his option, so his intent is to come back.

Not sure what ammunition we would have to move up in the draft, but I would like Agbaji.
    Breaking news, that is good, he sounded like he wanted back as early as the season ending media availability. They also have a great chance at keeping Bobby per Marc Stein.

Grayson Allen, Brook Lopez, #24 pick and multiple future 2nd round picks appear to be the tradeable assets. Allen had a great regular season and opening series against Chicago. Kind of gets a bad rap based on a quiet series against Boston. However, that was the #1 ranked defense in the NBA and he was being asked to step into a primary role with the absence of Middleton.

FWIW, NBATV did its mock draft last night with Steve Smith, Andy Katz and a former exec in the NBA. They had the Bucks taking EJ Liddell at #24.

Another interesting note, the exec said several scouts told him Jake Laravia (Wake Forest) has become the most underrated player in the draft the more they went back and broke down film, etc.

MarJon Beauchamp: 6'6", 7'1" wingspan and big hands. Frail, but I love the new all-encompassing dietary, weight training and overall experience of the Fiserv Forum since inception in 2018.

I know nothing about him. Love the way he came across as a humble, appreciative kid that rediscovered his love of basketball and wanting to be great. As always with draft picks, time will tell. Love the NBA Draft......great stories and dreams coming true:

December 22, 2021:*(Mock draft) -- With high-level NBA decision-makers sitting courtside at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center to watch the G League Ignite on Sunday, Beauchamp was arguably the best player on the floor, looking the part of a potential lottery pick in the process. The 20-year-old, long-armed wing finished with 21 points on 14 shots, 4 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals against Grand Rapids, playing with nonstop energy on both ends of the floor while defending former NBA vets, including 12-year pro Lance Stephenson. Beauchamp's value was further accentuated when he was ruled out due to illness as the Ignite were trounced by the Austin Spurs.

After spending two days around the Ignite in October, I wrote that Beauchamp, "could go down as the G League Ignite's biggest success story to date." That proclamation is still holding through 12 games as he's gone from basketball nomad to surefire first-round pick in a matter of six months, averaging 15.1 points, 7.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.5 steals in 36 minutes. When I first evaluated Beauchamp at a Rainier Beach open gym in Seattle more than three years ago, he was a jumbo point guard with talent off the dribble but minimal defensive intensity. That reputation carried him to four different high schools and a stint at Yakima Valley Community College.

"I had to go through a lot of stuff and find my game," he told ESPN's Jonathan Givony after his big game on Sunday. "Really just bring that energy because I used to play lackadaisical. I just feel like I changed on that side and my defense, I locked in on that a lot more than I used to."

Beauchamp will still get caught ball watching or help off of a strong side corner shooter. But at 6-6 with a 7-1 wingspan, huge hands and a newfound motor, he projects as a multi-position defender in the NBA with the potential to impact the game like Mikal Bridges or Matisse Thybulle. He has excellent feet, works hard to contest jumpers, competes on three-quarter denials in the post and is rangy enough to contest for steals and blocks from the weakside. He's also an excellent positional rebounder.

The best part of Beauchamp's projection is that you don't have to run plays for him to make his presence felt, which bodes well for his NBA future. He's a gap-filler wing who generates offense without using any dribbles by being opportunistic in transition, finding soft spots as a cutter and getting downhill off pindowns and closeout attacks. He's also an above average passer, showing the ability to make simple drop-offs and kick outs, especially in transition.

His experience functioning as a big guard in those Seattle open runs is now more useful, thus giving him more upside than defensive-minded wings. To reach his full potential, he'll have to improve as a 3-point shooter, as he's a bit hesitant to fire off the catch, even from the corners. But he boasts strong shooting mechanics and flashes a reliable stroke in the midrange and from the charity stripe.*-- Mike Schmitz

October 29, 2021:*(G League Ignite preview) -- If his play in Walnut Creek so far is any indication, Beauchamp could go down as the G League Ignite's biggest success story to date. Where the Ignite can truly have an impact is with talented prospects in dire need of direction and development. Enter Beauchamp, whose winding road could have ended in an obscure country on a low-level team 10 years ago. Beauchamp -- born in Yakima, Washington -- played for four different high schools in four years before ultimately signing with unproven training program Chameleon BX in the Bay Area. Beauchamp landed at Yakima Valley Junior College, where he put up huge numbers and received collegiate interest, but questions loomed about his NCAA eligibility. If it weren't for the alternate pathways that now exist, the 20-year-old might have played at a low level abroad and never truly addressed some bad habits on the court.

With NBA scouts now able to evaluate him in a competitive setting, Beauchamp has opened eyes, looking the part of a potential first-rounder at times. He's the most physically impressive of the Ignite prospects at 6-6 with a wide-shouldered 194-pound frame and a 7-1 wingspan, comparing favorably to NBA wings such as Kelly Oubre Jr., Matisse Thybulle and Mikal Bridges. More of a creator when we first evaluated him in 2018, Beauchamp is playing a 3 and D wing role for Hart, showing the ability to defend multiple positions, make plays off the ball with his length, attack gaps offensively, knock down spot 3s and even create for his teammates in spurts.

With the NBA starved for wing defenders in Beauchamp's mold, he doesn't have to be prolific this season to garner real first-round interest. If he can defend with energy, shoot around 35% from distance, and prove to be a sound decision-maker, Beauchamp could emerge as the Ignite's second-best draft-eligible prospect.*-- Mike Schmitz

Post-Draft Analysis

After Giannis Antetokounmpo led the Bucks to their first NBA championship in 40 years last year, the team took a step back this season and bowed out to Boston in the Eastern Conference semi-finals. With their core of Antetokounmpo, Jrue Holiday and Khris Middleton intact, the Bucks will be back among the NBA's best teams next season but have work to do in filling out the roster and ensuring the team has enough depth and perimeter shooting to compete in the competitive Eastern Conference. Brook Lopez's injury-plagued season and Bobby Portis' impending free agency after a breakout year require immediate attention, but there are several areas of need on the roster in the backcourt and on the wing, as well.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 06-23-2022 at 10:21 PM.

I was not expecting that pick, especially with who was still left on the board. Young kid who has a lot of tools from which to develop. Size and wingspan are what we need. Can he shoot the 3 and play D at the NBA level?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast