Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Round of 32-Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    Dude, take some medication.

I'm an adult so let me respond like a grown up. If you were capable of understanding what I meant, I'm saying logic doesn't matter. The league is sending one team to the Sweet 16 and is getting crucified tonight. Close losses, seeds, location - to the vast majority this doesn't matter. That's just the reality of it.
    So you are using razor sharp logic to tell me logic is irrelevant. I expect better from those with an MU education. Sleep it off brah.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    So you are using razor sharp logic to tell me logic is irrelevant. I expect better from those with an MU education. Sleep it off brah.
    Ha, whatever. Keep thinking today wasn't horrible for the league's reputation (which was my only point - this league is obviously good). I can't help you.

I don't disagree with you. Lots of dumbasses pollute Twitter. However, perception is reality.
    Recruits have ignored perception, and perception is not paying our bills. Perception may matter ten years from now when our contract is up, but the media world will likely be totally different ten years from now anyway. Also, if there is one overwhelming positive of the selection committee, it is they will gladly ignore perception and put the best teams in the field.
    #BringShakaHome

Ha, whatever. Keep thinking today wasn't horrible for the league's reputation (which was my only point - this league is obviously good). I can't help you.
    I hope you enjoy living or dying based upon what Doug Gottlieb and Scott Van Pelt think of our league.

Question on last second miss by Jones in Butler game. Auguste double dribbled then. Can they check how much time was left when he did? Never saw a good replay with the clock on showing how much time was left. Even an extra 1.5 seconds would have been beneficial there to get a better look on a drive rather then a Dunham 3.

Okay...here's the thing for me. You can have a down year or two, but when you fail to produce repeatedly, it becomes more than bad luck, it's a trend. I mean, these results...

Villanova Since 2010

2010: Beat (15) Robert Morris in OT, Lose to (10) St. Mary's
    2011: Lose to (8) George Mason
    2013: Lose to (8) North Carolina
    2014: Beat (15) Milwaukee, Lose to (7) Connecticut
    2015: Beat (16) Lafayette, Lose to (10) NC State

Georgetown Since 2008

2008: Beat (15) UMBC, Lose to (10) Davidson
    2010: Lose to (14) Ohio
    2011: Lose to (11) VCU
    2012: Beat (14) Belmont, Lose to (11) NC State
    2013: Lose to (15) Florida Gulf Coast
    2015: Beat (13) Eastern Washington, Lose to (5) Utah

So since their last Final Four appearances, Georgetown and Villanova are a combined 6-11 with the best win being GT over a 13-seed and 7/11 losses coming to double-digit seeds. Georgetown's run this year in terms of who they beat and who beat them is the best by either of the two schools that right now are really carrying the torch for the league.

It's easy to dismiss one year of results. Even two years you can dismiss. But since their Final Four appearances, we've seen 5 Tournaments of ineptitude from Villanova and 6 Tournaments of ineptitude from Georgetown. Is it just luck? Is it a crapshoot? Maybe, but they both seem to have an awful knack for shooting crap when the season is on the line. And we can make all the excuses we want (UConn won the title last year, VCU went to the Final Four, blah blah blah) but the reality is they continually get beat by worse seeds.

But, they are both two coaches that took their schools to a Final Four.
    March Madness starts in November

Yeah, but those are being quickly forgotten. The problem is they didn't do it in the new Big East era. They did it when the league was great, with teams like UConn, Syracuse, and Louisville going to the Final Four regularly. We've gained the little brother perception, and their prolonged run of sub-par results only feeds into that.

Yep, like Spencer Tillman says we live in a world of images and impressions.
    March Madness starts in November

[I][/

I don't understand the hand-wringing here. It's been a great year for BE basketball. 60% of the teams in the big dance, higher than any other conference in the country. Four move on with very solid wins. Though only one makes the sweet sixteen, the other three lose to terrific teams in close matches. After all, that's why they call it "March Madness.
    So it's madness to start crying the sky is falling. If the BE was over-hyped, what about XII? Are we suddenly to conclude that league doesn't play basketball?
    This is only the second year in the new BE. It's been a terrific year with a terrific non-conference record and all signs point to continuing that tradition.
    I think we all knew that Nova depended too much on the three to be a shoo-in to go far in the tourney. I always thought that Jay Wright is too nice a guy. He may be a smart coach, but may not be able to convey the toughness to his players that's needed to win the big games.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast