Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Buzz responsible for what we have become?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Buzz made plenty of recruiting mistakes that have lead to the problems we have had the last couple of years.
    He sure did and in years past he was able to cover for them by plugging a Jae Crowder, Dwight Buycks or DJO into the mix. So many want to persecute the guy for his HS misses and ignore the impact the JUCO's made. Heck, off the top of my head, he put at least 4 JUCO's into the NBA. NOBODY has that kind of success with JUCO's and the regime he butted head's with prevented him from recruiting those type of players to make up for the inevitable misses. Blame the FP&LW reign of terror. That's all I"m saying.
    Last edited by AbovetheRim; 01-24-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbovetheRim View Post
    He sure did and in years past he was able to cover for them by plugging a Jae Crowder, Dwight Buycks or DJO into the mix. So many want to persecute the guy for his HS misses and ignore the impact the JUCO's made. Heck, off the top of my head, he put at least 4 JUCO's into the NBA. NOBODY has that kind of success with JUCO's and the regime he butted head's with prevented him from recruiting those type of players to make up for the inevitable misses. Blame the FP&LW reign of terror. That's all I"m saying.

There isn't one person to blame. If Buzz doesn't swing and miss so many times, he wouldn't have to rely on Jucos like Jae, who is nowhere close to graduating and was lucky to even be allowed into Marquette in the first place. Since MU hasn't reversed the changes that SP & LW made, to my knowledge, it is up the coach to adapt.

There isn't one person to blame. If Buzz doesn't swing and miss so many times, he wouldn't have to rely on Jucos like Jae, who is nowhere close to graduating and was lucky to even be allowed into Marquette in the first place. Since MU hasn't reversed the changes that SP & LW made, to my knowledge, it is up the coach to adapt.
    Bucky? Is that you, Bucky?

Lol. Give me a break. At least two people associated with the University have told me about Jae and that the rule implemented by LW and SP were almost entirely related to his admission.

Anyone notice how Carlino is having more success than any other time in his career. MU is special baby!!! (in my Dick Vitale voice)

Jae enrolled with no chance to graduate. I agree with the rule that provides a Juco cannot come unless he can graduate. Our rule did not prohibit Jameel McKay from enrolling. Enough of the BS about the change of admission rules. We are an institution of higher learning--not a basketball mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Jae enrolled with no chance to graduate. I agree with the rule that provides a Juco cannot come unless he can graduate. Our rule did not prohibit Jameel McKay from enrolling. Enough of the BS about the change of admission rules. We are an institution of higher learning--not a basketball mill.
    Could not agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    According to the federal government, only 36.4% of full-time students graduate from college in four years. Why are athletes held to a standard other college students are not?

Quote Originally Posted by AbovetheRim View Post
    According to the federal government, only 36.4% of full-time students graduate from college in four years. Why are athletes held to a standard other college students are not?

How many full-time students have 100% of their direct costs paid for and the academic help that MU basketball players get? No one is expecting a 100% graduation rate. No one isn't for allowing exception for admission for athletes who wouldn't get in as students otherwise. Marquette wants there to be limits however - they want Juco athletes with a reasonable expectation for graduation. Wojo seems to understand those limitations, yet is still able to recruit Jucos. Whether or not he gets them here and admitted is another thing.

And again, Buzz deserves a lot of the blame for this year and last year. Outside of the f*ck up that was Todd Mayo, he didn't sign a single quality guard in the classes of 2011 or 2012. That's why this year consists of a graduate transfer, a limited PG who is playing a level higher than he should, and a bunch of inexperience. The Juco thing is a complete red herring.

How many full-time students have 100% of their direct costs paid for and the academic help that MU basketball players get? No one is expecting a 100% graduation rate. No one isn't for allowing exception for admission for athletes who wouldn't get in as students otherwise. Marquette wants there to be limits however - they want Juco athletes with a reasonable expectation for graduation. Wojo seems to understand those limitations, yet is still able to recruit Jucos. Whether or not he gets them here and admitted is another thing.

And again, Buzz deserves a lot of the blame for this year and last year. Outside of the f*ck up that was Todd Mayo, he didn't sign a single quality guard in the classes of 2011 or 2012. That's why this year consists of a graduate transfer, a limited PG who is playing a level higher than he should, and a bunch of inexperience. The Juco thing is a complete red herring.
    That is the cost element, but not the time element. The time demands of these kids is enormous. Beyond practice, games and travel. Individual skills, training room ... It is more than an 8 hour day they put in. Plus study, study hall ... They make up some of the schooling in summer. It is a difficult balance to be able to graduate in 4 years as an athlete and I give each one that does a ton of credit.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast