Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changes coaches would like to see

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    Football doesn't allow the QB to call a timeout when he's about to be sacked.
    But the QB can launch the ball out of bounds. Either way, football is a different animal where there are huddles and stoppages after every play. In football a coach can send players in after every play and change things dramatically. That would be like free substitutions after every missed shot.

Baseball stops in between every single pitch, and the clock is completely irrelevant.

Basketball goes and goes until something happens.

Yes, I coach grade school boys basketball, and grade school football, and I used to coach grade school girls basketball. I know it is only grade school, but being able to call time outs is a huge part of how a coach at any level manages a game and or his players. Completely necessary.

For the record, now that the Mayor is married he may one day produce a little beluga calf. I want to be there the day he coaches his first stress ridden grade school game and tell him he is not allowed to call a timeout no matter how many times his team does the opposite of what he asks/calls.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I may be wrong, but I thought there was a time when coaches couldn't call time outs, and they changed the rule back. That may have only been in high school.

I also like the time outs when the ball is in play. Consider the following.

MU has 2 time outs left.
    MU is down by 1 with 20 seconds left.
    The other team makes a poor pass and MU steals the ball. Now there are 15 seconds left.

Would you rather ...
    Have MU call a time out and set up a play based on current situation? or
    Have the rule where no time out can be called when the ball is in play, so you just have to play on.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    The college game is too choppy right now, with coaches way too controlling. There are far too many breaks in the action, and the last 5 minutes last an eternity. Limiting timeouts to deadballs or after a made basket keeps the game moving. Plus, it has the added advantage of not bailing out a player who gets trapped. No other sport allows you to call a timeout to prevent something from happening that is part of the game. Football doesn't allow the QB to call a timeout when he's about to be sacked. Baseball doesn't allow it when the pitcher realizes he's just sent a fastball down the middle.

If we limit it to the times Hizzonner suggests, then it doesn't matter if the coach or players call it. Heck, I don't see a problem with a coach saying "if they make this basket, we're calling a timeout."
    Marco Estrada would love that rule!

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Mayor, if they enacted that time out rule that you and Sultan are proposing what about this situation - is it a live ball when the ref gives you the ball and starts the 5 second count and therefore the player throwing it in play would not be able to call a timeout or is this a separate category?

Clock isn't running therefore it is a dead ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    But the QB can launch the ball out of bounds. Either way, football is a different animal where there are huddles and stoppages after every play. In football a coach can send players in after every play and change things dramatically. That would be like free substitutions after every missed shot.

Baseball stops in between every single pitch, and the clock is completely irrelevant.

Basketball goes and goes until something happens.

You make it sound like its endless or something. In a typical college basketball game there is about 40-50 made field goals, and numerous turnovers, fouls and other dead balls. There would be plenty of opportunity for a coach to use a timeout - probably averages one every 30-45 seconds or so.

I just don't like it during live action....that a timeout can be used to get yourself out of trouble on the court. It is unique to basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    I may be wrong, but I thought there was a time when coaches couldn't call time outs, and they changed the rule back. That may have only been in high school.

I also like the time outs when the ball is in play. Consider the following.

MU has 2 time outs left.
    MU is down by 1 with 20 seconds left.
    The other team makes a poor pass and MU steals the ball. Now there are 15 seconds left.

Would you rather ...
    Have MU call a time out and set up a play based on current situation? or
    Have the rule where no time out can be called when the ball is in play, so you just have to play on.

Play on.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Correct, that is a live ball so no time out.

In just watching Buzz coach in the past few years, he liked to have his players advance the ball to half court before calling a time out, so as to set up a half court play, not a full court play. If you are no longer able to do that, or call a time out if you can't get the ball in bounds, my guess is we would see a lot more full court pressing defenses in basketball.

Well in my basketball world that wouldn't matter because you could advance it to halfcourt with a timeout.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Clock isn't running therefore it is a dead ball.
    By clock, you mean "shot clock"?

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    By clock, you mean "shot clock"?

No the play clock. It doesn't start running until the ball touches a guy in bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    No the play clock. It doesn't start running until the ball touches a guy in bounds.
    The play clock may still be running (eg made basket outside of the last minute of the game). The shot clock does not start until the ball is touched in bounds/
    Last edited by MUMac; 07-17-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast