Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Georgetown should be PO'd

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Problem was the ref called it a blocking foul. There was no block, not even close, but Juan did reach in and hit him on the arm. Reaching foul yes, not a blocking foul.
    Even then, I would have a real hard time calling a reach on the defender if the guy is falling on his own.

I didn't see the reach from upstairs, and my line of sight was directly in line. The TV angle was the same one Corbett had behind the play, and he didn't call anything.

What I think happened, just like the first time Starks took a dive, is that Stephens saw him fall and felt like he had to call a foul. So he made up a block.

Other than charge v. blocking calls (no idea what a charge is anymore), my biggest gripe is the dribble drive contact fouls.

Offensive player has the ball on the outside and begins the drive to the hoop. Defensive player is in good position and is moving the feet and defending without reaching or bringing contact. The offensive player forces the contact on the drive or extends the arm to push off and this is so often called a foul on the defense. At times last night, and in other games I've watched (not just MU) it is almost like when the game is called close, the defender should all but allow the player to drive to the hoop. Then you contrast that with the extreme physical play in the post and I just don't get it.

The foul on Juan wasn't BS, Juan fouled him. It was right in front of my face. Thing is, he didn't have to.

The player slipped and was falling on his own. Basically tried to cut too hard. Ball was starting to pop out and Juan couldn't help himself. He reached in and hit him on the arm.

Problem was the ref called it a blocking foul. There was no block, not even close, but Juan did reach in and hit him on the arm. Reaching foul yes, not a blocking foul.

Simply, then he made the wrong call. I said phantom as he walked before Juan slapped in I thought. Chicken or egg.

That said, did you catch any action of that fan on the floor seats nearby--two or three seats off the baseline? Stephens was getting and giving it, even during the free throws. Good restraint there not to T the fan up at that point. The fan even stood up and took a small step toward him...I was cringing right there. Funny on one hand, afraid of a deadly technical on the other. Maybe it wasn't as bad close up, but from the distance it didn't look like a positive exchange.

It might be very interesting to get a ref on BCB Radio as a guest.

For whatever reason I didn't see that, but suspect it was either AlphaBangura or one of two other possibilities.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

For whatever reason I didn't see that, but suspect it was either AlphaBangura or one of two other possibilities.
    Innocent on that one. But I did tell Stephens we are now calling him "The Show" cuz it's all about him. His look told me he was none too happy!

I told Corbett he swallowed it on the other end. Not sure if he knew I meant the whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    I told Corbett he swallowed it on the other end. Not sure if he knew I meant the whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    Innocent on that one. But I did tell Stephens we are now calling him "The Show" cuz it's all about him. His look told me he was none too happy!
    We saw that and were cheering you on BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    How are you supposed to take over a game if you let the guys explain themselves?
    I don't believe that was the posters intent. I don't think he meant that the ref should have asked for an explanation as much as to tell him to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I don't believe that was the posters intent. I don't think he meant that the ref should have asked for an explanation as much as to tell him to stop it.
    Sorry...should have used teal, I was just kidding.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123