Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: MU vs Butler....

Big win. MU may have found a line up. Great effort by Todd. All determination.

Talk about shifting gears. Mayo was clearly the catalyst...something missing from this team.

I thought Todd Mayo could be something like this all year. That was my prime reason for optimism going into the season, as he's the guard scorer to go with Gardner down low and Jamil on the wing. He has the talent to average 15 a night efficiently, but cannot consistently bring it (especially away from home). I have believed from December on that the season rests on Todd Mayo's shoulders. Cannot expect consistent performances from him and the team, but you saw the potential if Mayo could consistently get things going.

Was it just me or as soon as Jamil went out did Todd take over? He seems more passive with Jamil on the floor.

Todd is a great offensive talent. His problem is recalling what was just said in the huddle. Might have to live with Todd's foibles in order to get that scoring punch.

Great half by Todd, but he has to do it on the road. I liked seeing Derrick and Dawson get some run together. Burton is going to be ridonkulous once he figures it out. Good game, but as Buzz noted in the post game, that three was a horrible shot choice. Still no value of a possession.

This team reminds me of some of the girls I dated in my formative years. Complete teases. Just when you think you're there, there's a let down. Then when you think your odds are sunk, they give you hope again. We need this to be the start of a streak.

Jake and Derrick get a lot of crap, but MU doesn't win that game without them. Jake was great on the glass, and both of them did serious work on defense down the stretch. Both Dunham and Barlow couldn't get a sniff from the perimeter, because those two worked their asses off getting through screens. The last three Dunham hit was well defended and 24 feet out.

Other thoughts...

-Todd is best when he has the green light. Give him a start, and see what happens.
    -Chris played an outstanding second half.
    -Once Deonte learns what a good shot is, he'll be really good.
    -This team gets good rebounding position, but fails to go get the basketball. Too much reaching, and not enough attacking the rebound.
    -I hope the last 13 minutes shows them how hard they have to play to win. Ball movement, screening, cuts, all were faster on offense. Worked hard defensively and closed out much better.

Great point, Mufan12. Jake was isoed on Barlow most of the night and locked him up. His defensive effort will largely go unnoticed but it was tremendous.

Some great plays by Burton tonight. I'm trying to remember though when we have had such a chucker on the team like him, particularly as a freshman. He literally never looks to pass. His potential if harnessed in the system is off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by MU Viking View Post
    Some great plays by Burton tonight. I'm trying to remember though when we have had such a chucker on the team like him, particularly as a freshman. He literally never looks to pass. His potential if harnessed in the system is off the charts.
    Deonte did have that one, big assist to Jake for his 3 late in the game. The guy guarding Jake played the odds and just assumed he wasn't going to pass.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast