Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
I think you're greatly under-valuing Ollie, he's the real deal.

Pastner has taken a lot of criticism for his in-game coaching, but there is one guarantee with him which is he'll always pull in really good players.
I don't think I'm under-valuing Ollie. I said he looks like a worthy successor to a coach who won 3 national titles, 7 Big East Tourney titles, and 10 Big East regular season titles. All I'm pointing out is there was a decent amount of chatter before Calhoun stepped down that UConn didn't have an illustrious history before he arrived and there were many who thought they're return to that. Ollie has impressed me so far.

Agree that Pastner is a great recruiter, but man does he underwhelm as a game coach. Not sure he was ready for a major program. The kid can recruit, but I think having players as good as he's had have actually done a disservice to him learning how to manage a game. He relies too much on their talent, and when they meet other talented teams, he comes up short. He is somewhat the opposite of a guy like Ed Cooley. He learned the finer parts as an assistant at Boston College then had to prove he could succeed at Fairfield before getting a bigger job. I realize he's still a work in progress as a game coach, but I think he's well ahead of Pastner, who never really did that slogging through the mud.