Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fr. Wild to be Interim Prez

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    Different strokes for different folks!

Now he's gone...history. No need to kick him any longer. What's important now is how well the BOT has learned from this history. If you're a prayerful person, you might want to pray for the BOT as they discuss candidates and eventually select a new president.

VS
    Not really different strokes. Mac makes an important point as to the effectiveness of these 2 leaders. Quite obvious
    In any event, good luck to Fr. Pilarz in his future endeavors with the Jesuit community.

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    Different strokes for different folks!

Now he's gone...history. No need to kick him any longer. What's important now is how well the BOT has learned from this history. If you're a prayerful person, you might want to pray for the BOT as they discuss candidates and eventually select a new president.

VS
    The bolded part is true, only if they achieve the same results. That is the rub. Alumni, benefactors, students, major donors ... all were issues we had been hearing. The comment I made about visibility at the BBall games was systematic of the issues. Unfortunately, Fr. P was a bad fit for MU, for whatever reason. I hope he finds satisfaction and comfort on the pastoral side. He has much he can offer.

Not trying to kick Fr. P, but if you do not learn from history, you are bound to repeat it.

Having worked with multiple, successful university presidents, I can say this. While all have been different in leadership style...some are detail oriented, some are more strategically oriented, some are natural introverts, some gregarious extroverts...but the two things that all of them have in common is that they are good with people and they are visible.

They go to events...sporting events, student events, arts events, fundraising events etc. And they have to relate well to people who attend these functions. This isn't a "different strokes for different folks" part of being a college president - it is a necessity of the job. And this seems to have been what SP's failure lies.

Perhaps Scranton, which its smaller size, D2 athletics, and east coast student base, fit his comfort zone more. Marquette is larger, midwestern, and likely has a lot more people concerned with how the basketball team does each year than how the University performs in the USN&WR rankings.

As I said on Scoop. Not a bad person. Just a bad fit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Having worked with multiple, successful university presidents, I can say this. While all have been different in leadership style...some are detail oriented, some are more strategically oriented, some are natural introverts, some gregarious extroverts...but the two things that all of them have in common is that they are good with people and they are visible.

They go to events...sporting events, student events, arts events, fundraising events etc. And they have to relate well to people who attend these functions. This isn't a "different strokes for different folks" part of being a college president - it is a necessity of the job. And this seems to have been what SP's failure lies.

Perhaps Scranton, which its smaller size, D2 athletics, and east coast student base, fit his comfort zone more. Marquette is larger, midwestern, and likely has a lot more people concerned with how the basketball team does each year than how the University performs in the USN&WR rankings.

As I said on Scoop. Not a bad person. Just a bad fit.
    Well stated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12