Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conference catch-up: Big East per SI 7-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    I hear what you're saying, except UConn doesn't need to drop football, just reclassify to FCS - like 'Nova, GT, and Butler. Depending upon what the soon-to-be ex-BCS schools do in their quest to get even more money, that move might be sensible - not ludicrous at all.

That might happen down the line, but I can't see them making the decision to drop down to FCS anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    How about LaSalle? I don't know anything about them. I just know they had a good year last year, I'm looking at the RPI from last year, and I'm throwing a name out there.
    Right in Nova's backyard. Very likely why privates like George Washington, St. Joes, and Fordham, and publics like URI and George Mason aren't going to be considered.

I think UMASS could be an option if they can get their hoops support back to what it was in the mid-90's. I think their arena seats over 8,500 but they're only averaging about 3,500 per game.

They would help bring in another large market to the NBE, they have both men's and women's Lacrosse, and they're considered a very good school academically (although they are public as well).

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    I think the lesser of all evils is Richmond. Maybe the BE invites them with certain stipulations - upgrade facilities etc. If I was GT, I'd want one eastern school too and I want them happy.

From Georgetown's perspective, I don't understand necessarily why there must be some sort of geographic balance. Marquette had to deal with it from the other end and it never bothered me all that much. Get the best schools you can.

Quote Originally Posted by DCwarrior View Post
    I think UMASS could be an option if they can get their hoops support back to what it was in the mid-90's. I think their arena seats over 8,500 but they're only averaging about 3,500 per game.

They would help bring in another large market to the NBE, they have both men's and women's Lacrosse, and they're considered a very good school academically (although they are public as well).

UMass plays FBS football though.

How about LaSalle? I don't know anything about them. I just know they had a good year last year, I'm looking at the RPI from last year, and I'm throwing a name out there.

(My personal preference is Wich St., Dayton, VCU, in that order and they are all pretty equal. My criteria is fan support, administration support, great atmosphere in their arena. Those are the qualities that I believe would make a successful team in the Big East. I just don't know if SLU has the fan support or Richmond.)
    I did forget about LaSalle - pretty good history - I could live with that. I assume 'Nova would get turf conscious though. I am a supporter of SLU as they have built the infrastructure, literally, of a successful program and they have their version of Dick Strong that helps a lot. I know they have some drama going on there with their administration etc., but I do think there is potential for big things there - if not them, Dayton would be my choice for a Midwest addition.

Georgetown doesn't see Richmond of as big a threat to their recruiting base as VCU.

No clue who another quality eastern team would be. There just aren't any.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

(My personal preference is Wich St., Dayton, VCU, in that order and they are all pretty equal. My criteria is fan support, administration support, great atmosphere in their arena. Those are the qualities that I believe would make a successful team in the Big East. I just don't know if SLU has the fan support or Richmond.)
    Saint Louis averaged around 8,500 a game last year overall and just under 10,000 in a 10.600 seat arena for A-10 games last year, so they are solid in support.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    From Georgetown's perspective, I don't understand necessarily why there must be some sort of geographic balance. Marquette had to deal with it from the other end and it never bothered me all that much. Get the best schools you can.
    Per IWB, hasn't GT already expressed an interest in Richmond? Marquette situation was different - they were invitees and not the inviters (if there is such a word).

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Per IWB, hasn't GT already expressed an interest in Richmond? Marquette situation was different - they were invitees and not the inviters (if there is such a word).

I understand why it was different. But being a member of an "eastern conference" never seemed to be a problem for MU. I am not sure why being a member of a 12 team conference, 7 of whom are midwestern, should be a problem for Georgetown.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast