Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10 teams in the Big East vs adding more teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    The biggest thing is the NCAA tournament. Anyone that thinks this league, at 10 teams, will get 5-6 teams in the NCAA tourney is crazy. This league, as it is, will likely get three. Go to 12 and you can get 5, but a 10 team conference will not get a large number of teams.

Litehouse suggest that, while Fox may want more teams, they would have to pay more per school. Really? Wasn't that already part of the deal? $3.5 mill per school the first year and $3mil per year after that is because of the expected expansion.

Yes, round robin is nice, but when your conference's success will live and die by the ever loving NCAA tourney berth, 12 is better than 10.
    I am not crazy and I think this league would average five bids per year at ten teams. Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, Butler, and Xavier have been regular NCAA teams and the St. John's and Providence programs are on the up swing. I am unsure of Creighton post Doug McDermott, and even with McDermott next year, but they seem to realize to challenge the conference of the new league and have made coaching and recruiting moves to prepare for this new venture. DePaul and Seton Hall may be doormats, which actually would be healthy for league in a sense. However, they also have many of the criteria of being sleeping giants and one/both of them could eventually stumble into returning to a strong position. The old Big East, back at 9 teams, regularly put 5-6 teams in. No reason why the new Big East cannot do that as well.

I don't know that that is true. I remember the old Great Midwest days. The conference had six or seven teams depending on the year, and I believe placed at least three in the tournament every year. In addition, it typically put another couple in the NIT when the NIT was better than it is today. I recall the last year before the beginning of C-USA, which was mostly a merger of the GMC and the Metro. The GMC put Cincinnati, Memphis, and Saint Louis in the NCAA and Marquette and DePaul in the NIT. Meanwhile, the Metro, which had about seven or eight teams, put Louisville and a couple others in the NCAA and a couple more in the NIT. I do not know that things would work out the same way today, but I think there is more good teams in the Big East next year than there were in the GMC. I do not see that adding two more schools necessarily improves that.

Adding two schools that end up having an rpi above 100 could actually hurt the chances of adding another team or two in the tourney.

First, if those teams do not have success against teams from other conferences during the non-conference portion of the season that wold hurt the league's ranking relative to the other major conferences.

Second, playing those two teams in league play can also harm the rpi of both the stronger teams in the conference and the bubble teams.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but adding two additional teams could make it more difficult to get five teams in the Big Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Adding two schools that end up having an rpi above 100 could actually hurt the chances of adding another team or two in the tourney.

First, if those teams do not have success against teams from other conferences during the non-conference portion of the season that wold hurt the league's ranking relative to the other major conferences.

Second, playing those two teams in league play can also harm the rpi of both the stronger teams in the conference and the bubble teams.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but adding two additional teams could make it more difficult to get five teams in the Big Dance.

Agreed.

At what point does this thread turn into the "who is worthy of being added and not worthy of being added?" (which seemed to happen in every thread when the c7 announced their separation)

Not counter-intuitive at all. If we add the wrong teams, we'll be viewed as a mid-major, fighting for bids among the A10, Mountain West, and C-USA.

We must prove we belong among the high-major football conferences, before we even consider adding more teams. That will take at least two years, maybe longer. Once we've established our creds, then we can pick additional teams, if needed,

VS

Agreed...but that is why I say that expansion has to be done smartly. Not simply adding teams for the sake of adding them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123