Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will MU need to add / change sport offerings?

After all of the time and investment they have put into LaCrosse...I think they will figure out a place to play.

I would love for MU to start playing baseball. Unfortunately, putting together facilities would be a huge undertaking.

Quote Originally Posted by GOMU1104 View Post
    After all of the time and investment they have put into LaCrosse...I think they will figure out a place to play.

I would love for MU to start playing baseball. Unfortunately, putting together facilities would be a huge undertaking.
    I too would love to see baseball as a sport. A stadium shared by MU and UWM might be worth looking into if baseball were to ever be considered.

Even without Rutgers, the ACC is making a go of it with 4 teams currently. They play a freaking 3-game conference schedule. Hasn't stopped Duke from going to the past 6 Final Fours while also finishing runner-up twice and winning a national championship.

At worst, we have 5 lacrosse teams. Maybe we convince one of the new guys to add the sport, or one of the C7 not playing lacrosse gets on board. But even with 5, that's enough.

I have a very hard time believing that lacrosse will be more popular than soccer. I will make a call and say that will never happen.

Would rather see us venture into baseball than football (hate that effing sport).

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I have a very hard time believing that lacrosse will be more popular than soccer. I will make a call and say that will never happen.
    On a worldwide basis, I agree, but I wouldn't be so sure in regard to its popularity in the U.S.. As I told a soccer fan friend of mine from the U.K. The way to make soccer more popular to U.S. audiences is to remove the goalie. Create more scoring opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Djgoldnboy View Post
    What about Quidditch!!!!!!!
    Laugh all you want, but my son told me that our Club Quiddich team was highly rated and the top scoring squad in the country.

To answer the OP, that's something that the new conference would need to sort out.

Women's Jello Wrestling!

(I know it's wrong, but I'm weak.)

If we add baseball, we would have to add women's softball due to Title IX. I'm OK with that but that's adding more 40 or 50 more scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by wiscwarrior View Post
    On a worldwide basis, I agree, but I wouldn't be so sure in regard to its popularity in the U.S.. As I told a soccer fan friend of mine from the U.K. The way to make soccer more popular to U.S. audiences is to remove the goalie. Create more scoring opportunities.
    I actually broke down scoring in the NFL compared to the premiere league. I didn't count field goals because those are as exciting as corner kicks. A touchdown was equal to a goal. There was more scoring in the NFL but not by much. Granted, it was a small sample, but you'd be surprised.

Anyway, here is an ESPN article. Soccer is already popular in the US and it's growing.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/...id/262?cc=5901

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast