Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulane to the Big East

Quote Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
    I am just so happy that our AD is concentrating on smoothing out the rough edges of our coach.
    Let' see, accomplishments of recent ADs at Marquette:
    Our last AD - Hired Buzz and lead us into the BEast,
    The one before that - built the Al, got us into the BEast, hired Crean who lead us to a Final Four.
    Current one - Um, pissed off the most popular and successful coach since Al.

Jeez, does every thread have to be brought back to this???

You have no idea what LW and the Marquette administration is doing behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Litehouse View Post
    Assuming UofL, Cincy, and UConn leave, just make the divisions the football/basketball schools, so the eventual split will just go smoother. (I noticed you included Cincy but not St. Johns)

North
    Marquette
    DePaul
    Georgetown
    Providence
    St. Johns
    Seton Hall
    Villanova

South
    Memphis
    Temple
    USF
    UCF
    Houston
    SMU
    Tulane
    You need 8 football playing members. If UC goes, you need to add another. You may want to add an 8 hoops school too. X replacing UC? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Jeez, does every thread have to be brought back to this???

You have no idea what LW and the Marquette administration is doing behind the scenes.
    Agreed. I think Steve Cottingham got treated poorly as well. And he did more than just hire Buzz. He hired the volleyball coach who has the team in its best shape ever. He added lacrosse.

And when he hired Buzz, and even thereafter, I was reading on some of these boards what a dummy he was. The immediate reaction to Buzz's hiring from many people was "What? You have to be kidding! We didn't hire the next John Wooden? Dean Smith didn't come out of retirement to take the job for free? We couldn't get Bill Self to dump that lousy job at Kansas?"

On one board, one poster tried to put his MBA degree to use and demonstrate conclusively that it was a bad hire. He did that by quantifying the factors that should be considered in hiring a coach. How did he do that? He asked his beer drinking buddies what they thought, added up their answers, and turned them all into numbers. So the ideal coach should be based on x% ability to recruit, x% game coaching, x% fitting into the institution, etc. Then he quoted from Cottingham's remarks at the press conference about what a great fit Buzz was for the university, and Buzz's remarks about how happy he was to be here, and said, "See. The only factor they considered was institutional fit! They don't even know if this guy can coach!" Of course, Cottingham and others involved knew a lot more than that, and he did not try and lay out a detailed description of his hiring process in his introductory remarks. And of course, the critic's numbers were all nonsense anyway. All they were was one guy throwing numbers around to try and prove that his opinion was more than just that - one guy's uninformed opinion.

After a year or two, when Buzz turned out to be pretty good and everybody liked him, there was still plenty of criticism. People weren't complaining about the result, mind you, just the PROCESS! Cottingham screwed up the whole process, but he got lucky. Turns out this guy is not so bad. But that doesn't mean we were wrong!

So it is here. Anybody who thinks our AD has been sitting around with his finger in his nose just idly watching the situation develop is a fool. There is plenty going on behind the scenes. There have been some hints of that from time to time, like leaks that the non-football schools have had discussions among themselves, but most of that is being kept private, as it is intended to be. There are certainly contingency plans in the works.

The unfortunate part of this is that if things do not work out as well as we would like, there might be nothing Larry Williams or the administration could do about it. Bill Cords did a great job getting us into the Big East, and it has been a great place to be. It was also lucky. We were in the right place at the right time. Anybody who was paying attention knew the situation was unstable, and there have been constant discussions since Marquette joined the Big East that we had better enjoy it while it lasts. I hope when all is said and done, we land on our feet in a good position, but it is highly likely that whatever anybody does, we are going to wind up in a less attractive conference, getting less money for TV rights, than we have enjoyed for the last seven years or so. I do not think there is anything Larry or any other AD could do to prevent that. That doesn't mean he is not doing the best he can with a tough situation. Let's see how it works out before trashing the guy.
    Last edited by unclejohn; 11-27-2012 at 06:08 PM.

I don't usually venture outside of the Panther forums, but seriously, Tulane? You guys better hope your AD has the stones to bail. Otherwise, you may as well pull the old C-USA floor out of the BC storage closet and have a Mike Deane bobblehead night... Your brand is at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    There is plenty going on behind the scenes. There have been some hints of that from time to time, like leaks that the non-football schools have had discussions among themselves, but most of that is being kept private, as it is intended to be. There are certainly contingency plans in the works.
    This is the problem with both PR and the AD. I suspect there are goings on by the administration, unfortunately the is zero evidence to support your and my conclusion. There has been no reassuring press releases, soft-ball interviews to calm down the donors, ticketholders and fan base. Instead, we are left to say, "Larry and Fr. P must be smart guys, or we wouldn't have hired them. And they must be doing things behind the scenes, so let's all trust that and rest easy."

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Bruce View Post
    I don't usually venture outside of the Panther forums, but seriously, Tulane? You guys better hope your AD has the stones to bail. Otherwise, you may as well pull the old C-USA floor out of the BC storage closet and have a Mike Deane bobblehead night... Your brand is at stake.
    Not to put to fine a point on it, but **** rolls downhill, and you are downhill from us. Didn't your team just move back into a high school gym? Didn't your conference just lose its flagship team? Aren't your fans talking about adding the likes of Northern Kentucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Bruce View Post
    I would make some smart-ass remark about you, but I can't because I think you're right.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but **** rolls downhill, and you are downhill from us. Didn't your team just move back into a high school gym? Didn't your conference just lose its flagship team? Aren't your fans talking about adding the likes of Northern Kentucky?
    If you want to talk trash in your typical elitist Marquette fashion, come over to our board and do it. He was just making an observation that your team's "Big Time" persona is getting watered down by your conference decision-makers, he wasn't taking shots or looking for trouble.

By the way, didn't you just lose to Butler? Yeah, you did didn't you...
    Last edited by MayorCK; 11-27-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorCK View Post
    If you want to talk trash in your typical elitist Marquette fashion, come over to our board and do it. He was just making an observation that your team's "Big Time" persona is getting watered down by your conference decision-makers, he wasn't taking shots or looking for trouble.

By the way, didn't you just lose to Butler? Yeah, you did didn't you...
    It seems strange that you suggest Marquette fans come to your board to remind you of the unenviable situation you find yourselves in. That is not the sort of thing most fans enjoy hearing from someone else's fans on their own board, so I will not do it.

As for Butler, at least we got to play them this year, which is a tougher game than anybody on your schedule.

I take exception to your mean-spiritedness, because it is unnecessary. First, let me say I agree with the high school gym remark. Second, if you are using the rolling downhill wisdom, I would say Tulane is below us. I've heard nothing of this Northern Kentucky business you speak of.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast