Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walkon Haffner?

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    You can be in uniform as long as you are eligible to play. He can play but as long as he doesn't the red shirt is still entact.
    Correct. A Freshman redshirt is different than a medical redshirt or a redshirt after freshman year. A freshman redshirt can practice, travel and can be in uniform on the bench. He cannot, obviously, play in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    I don't think he has played in any games or the exhibition which makes me wonder if he is red shirting?
    Why would the staff have a walk on red shirt? I could see if we needed bodies, but I doubt they are looking at practice bodies 4 years down the road.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
    Why would the staff have a walk on red shirt? I could see if we needed bodies, but I doubt they are looking at practice bodies 4 years down the road.
    Yeah, Never heard of a non-preferred walk-on red shirting.

Admittedly, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he's a secret weapon and they feel that given an extra year, he can replicate his high school numbers (26.7 ppg/5.1 apg/4.9 rpg/49.0% 3PFG%) at this level?

My guess is it was his choice for whatever reason. No downside for the staff really. He was a pretty good high school player so maybe he has some hope of playing later in his career?

Maybe he isn't redshirting but considering the other 2 guys played 4 minutes or so it is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Unless he is injured or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Admittedly, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he's a secret weapon and they feel that given an extra year, he can replicate his high school numbers (26.7 ppg/5.1 apg/4.9 rpg/49.0% 3PFG%) at this level?
    Could he be considering transferring, if he is that good. Maybe they are working on getting him a scholly at a lower tear school.
    They still get the body this year and get him something in return. Just a thought.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Could he be considering transferring, if he is that good. Maybe they are working on getting him a scholly at a lower tear school.
    They still get the body this year and get him something in return. Just a thought.
    I doubt it, those were Wisconsin high school D5 numbers. The intent of my comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek, probably should have said as much. Maybe he'd consider trying to latch on D2 or D3 collegiate, but my guess is he isn't a guy who'd be a star at any level, almost certainly not D1 or he'd be there already.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    I doubt it, those were Wisconsin high school D5 numbers. The intent of my comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek, probably should have said as much. Maybe he'd consider trying to latch on D2 or D3 collegiate, but my guess is he isn't a guy who'd be a star at any level, almost certainly not D1 or he'd be there already.
    Maybe he simply isn't ready for garbage time against crappy opponents. He went to a high school with something like 80 students.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Maybe he simply isn't ready for garbage time against crappy opponents. He went to a high school with something like 80 students.
    I'm pretty sure he is better then Marotta.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12