There were quite a few points that I think could have turned the season. The SDSU moment was one. At ASU, when Derrick's runner was blocked was another. Had he got it over Bachynski or (more realistically) kicked back to Jake for three it may have changed things.

But really for me, the two big ones are the Butler and 'Nova losses. Not necessarily a specific moment, but those were games we should have had. Butler was all but done and we just let them creep back in. By the time it went to OT, you just knew we were going to lose, and we got murdered. The 'Nova game was the opposite. We were the ones that were dead and buried and we got the miracle finish to force OT. When Todd sent us to overtime, especially coupled with the fortuitous charge call, it seemed like there was no way we would lose. Then we just folded on defense in the extra frame. All that momentum gone in a heartbeat. Give us those back and it's a completely different season.

The past week has been tough, but as many have indicated, this is kind of what you expected. We come back against Providence, but every time we made a move they had an answer. At one point I know I posted that the game seemed unwinnable because every time we took the advantage they snaked it right back. Today I thought we were going to win. I really did. Even after the Harrison dagger. But then we didn't. As many have said, a microcosm of the season.

I don't think this team is as bad as their record. I don't think we're as good as I earlier thought, but I think 19-12 or 20-11 and squarely on the bubble would be a bit more reflective of how good we are. Arizona State, San Diego State, New Mexico, we were either tied or had a lead in the last five minutes of all of those games. Most years, you'd think we'd get at least one of those. We didn't. In overtime games, we went 2-4. Those are essentially coin flip games. One bounce different and those games are wins. Most years, you'd expect to go 3-3. We didn't.

Two to three more wins and this season is different, but they didn't happen. A few more bounces against us than we'd maybe see in most years. The team's not as good as many of us thought, probably not quite as bad as their record, but I don't think you can really say they are that far off of where they should be.