Thread: Steve Alford to UCLA!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    How successful has Iowa been after Alford? He took them to three NCAA's and they haven't been back since. He has been the most successful coach at New Mexico and won 4 league titles there. I wouldn't say he's better than Howland, necessarily, but he's not a huge downgrade like it appears you guys are claiming. I was surprised they fired him in the first place. Again, I've never really liked Alford, but he's certainly proven he's a great coach. Also, I don't think he was fired from Iowa. I think he bolted for New Mexico.
    Or, how successful was Iowa before Alford? Cuts both ways. They came off a Sweet 16 when he took over. Were consistent in the NCAA, as well (prior to his arrival). It is much easier to maintain a program when you have recognition and success than it is to rebuild. Perhaps the Piere Pierce incident and Aford's horrible interference, may have hurt Iowa as much or more, no? You are correct that he left Iowa, before they could fire him.

I am not buying the greatness. That word means something, and should not just be thrown around. Frankly, you and MUBasketball are just throwing it around, IMHO.
    Last edited by MUMac; 03-30-2013 at 02:19 PM.