Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pathetic Officiating

The occasional tweak is fine, but the annual offseason overhauls can be a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    I'm split on this. While there are a ton of whistles, the players need to adjust how they play. Every game has missed calls and the calls were pretty even. Stop slapping when you have no chance at the ball. Within a month or so they'll have it figured out. The best answer would be to have a year with no rule changes, but it doesn't seem that will ever be in the cards.
    I think it was a combination - the refs undoubtedly sucked - that walk at the end that has been referenced previously was unreal, but the players do need to adjust - by the New Year I think it will be mostly a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    I said the same thing. Nobody wants to watch key players sitting on the bench. At this rate, Luke Fischer will be in foul trouble every single game. ASU's big man, did not even seem to play tonight. I am for more offense and freedom of movement, but tonight seemed over the top with foul calls.
    I've been a proponent of the Big East going to 6 fouls for conference games or at least you get a 6th foul if it goes into OT assuming you haven't fouled out in regulation - not a huge thing, but something to set the BE apart.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    I've been a proponent of the Big East going to 6 fouls for conference games or at least you get a 6th foul if it goes into OT assuming you haven't fouled out in regulation - not a huge thing, but something to set the BE apart.
    That sounds good, but might be detrimental once a BE team gets to the NCAAs. I would take a pass on a conference only rule. Doubt the NCAA would allow it anyway, since it would screw up scoring averages, won-loss records, etc. Need to have parity in regards to rules.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    The Big East did that back in the late 80s and early 90s.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...2,242903&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    That sounds good, but might be detrimental once a BE team gets to the NCAAs.
    And that's exactly what happened.

I understand the NCAA wanting to clean things up on the perimeter, but there needs to be some leeway given to the guys underneath. They operate in a confined space. You cannot call contact fouls under the basket the same way you do outside. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    That sounds good, but might be detrimental once a BE team gets to the NCAAs. I would take a pass on a conference only rule. Doubt the NCAA would allow it anyway, since it would screw up scoring averages, won-loss records, etc. Need to have parity in regards to rules.
    I really don't think there would be a concern on messing with stats - the ACC had a 3-point line about 2 feet shorter than the rest of the NCAA's and instituted a 30 second clock in the early '80's before the NCAA instituted a shot clock - a 45 second shot clock. Certainly didn't hurt NC State in '83 when they won the whole damn thing.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/story/2335951/

The ACC just experimented with a 30 second clock in exhibition games last year as well as the NIT tourney last year. Why not have the Big East take the lead on this one?

I don't see how the integrity of the game would be adversely affected going to 6 fouls for OT or put the league at a competitive disadvantage and don't recall any quantifiable evidence that granting a 6th foul lead to a nosedive for the Big East in the NCAA's - sounds like more sour grapes from coaches - use it as an excuse. It's always been a league know for tough D and that typically goes along with getting more fouls. I recall Calhoun being the one who was ticked that they dropped the 6 foul rule in the Big East. Don't see why granting a 6th in OT couldn't be a reasonable compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by wiscwarrior View Post
    I understand the NCAA wanting to clean things up on the perimeter, but there needs to be some leeway given to the guys underneath. They operate in a confined space. You cannot call contact fouls under the basket the same way you do outside. Just my opinion.
    Agreed. The NBA use to allow an open hand on the offensive player's hip, I don't think anyone wants to see that. If I understand it correctly, 1 "arm-bar" is allowed defensively in the paint, but not a hand on the offensive player. Neither an open hand or arm bar is allowed on the perimeter. That is all fine. Last night though, defenders would have both hands up and if their chest slightly touched the offensive player, it was automatically a foul. I think the ref needs to be allowed to have discretion there, as to whether or not the defender is impeding the offensive player's "freedom of movement." When ASU got an offensive rebound, Fischer on a couple occasions had both hands up, the ASU player in essence jumped into Fischer and drew a foul call on him. Fischer is entitled to his position and that should not be a foul if his hands are straight up. That is where I thought the refs erred last night.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123