Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marquette has found itself a point guard

Marquette has found itself a point guard

Traci Carter wasn't perfect tonight, but he was awfully important to Marquette's victory over LSU. His nine assists and calming influence for the majority of the game were huge in allowing the MU offense to get the ball where it needed to be, namely into the hands of Fischer, Ellenson, Johnson and Wilson.

As Carter gains more confidence and experience, he'll become even better.

His solid play at PG was a major reason for the upset over the ranked Tigers tonight.

But my Player of the Game is JJ. His two free-throws late saved the game, and his solid all-around play off the bench was vital. May have been his best game at Marquette.

Terrific bounce back victory after the Iowa debacle.

Well said regarding both. traci looks the part of our best "true" pg

Agree on all observations. Carter took charge. Completely different team and effort. We did all we could at the end there to give that game away, but hung on to win. Now they know the intensity needed all game for defense and rebounding. Let's hope the next step is valuing the ball more and finally finishing a game more calm without making stupid plays. How many turnovers in the last 3 minutes did we have? What was Hannief doing driving to the middle of the lane with his head down 100 MPH and flipping the ball in the air? We missed at least 5 front end bonus shots also. That should all get better as the team matures. I was worried the defense and rebounding was a lost cause. Maybe Iowa is better than people think.

Carter was great until the last 3 minutes. Hope to see him seize the starting job, but he's still a work in progress. Love the kid, but needs to be more composed against the press.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Carter was great until the last 3 minutes. Hope to see him seize the starting job, but he's still a work in progress. Love the kid, but needs to be more composed against the press.
    That goes without saying, but he did have 9 assists and played with 4 fouls for a good chunk of time.

Every player on every team in America has plenty to work on, Traci included.

It was a hell of an effort on all counts especially because Simmons got the LeBron treatment and Ellenson was treated like dirt by the officials. Agree that Carter was huge and want him running point.

Like Carter's overall package, and he should develop into a pretty good point guard for us in time. In a perfect world, he could come off the bench and get minutes based on how he's playing that night. However, I agree that he is best option for us at the point this year and needs to play 25+ minutes per game. I hope that he will acclimate to this role faster due to being thrown into the fire so quickly.
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    It was a hell of an effort on all counts especially because Simmons got the LeBron treatment and Ellenson was treated like dirt by the officials. Agree that Carter was huge and want him running point.
    He got the same treatment from ESPN - stats mean more than W's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reptile View Post
    He got the same treatment from ESPN - stats mean more than W's.
    I was shocked to learn Ellenson had a double-double after the game. When he fouled out it only showed his points and I don't think the announcing crew mentioned his double-double once.

Great call Mark, Carter should be the PG moving forward. I like Cheatham, but he had 4 TOs in just 18 min after 7TOs against iowa. Carter had 9 assists and 3 TOs in almost twice as many minutes as Cheatham.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast