Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fascinating read on Tom Crean ...

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    But I have to say, I don't really feel bad for him despite this articles attempt to make me feel that way. He took the Indiana job because as he said "It's Indiana" implying it's special and that you can win big at the school which if history is any indication he is correct. However with that school pedigree you also receive the constant pressure cooker because people expect results and rightfully so.
    Agreed. I have no pity for him. If you take a job like Indiana, Texas, even Wisconsin, any school that combines a tradition of winning with an irrational fan base, this will happen. If Bucky's next hoops coach does poorly, he'll get the same response. Or worse. You don't want psycho fans to heckle your kids? Then coach at a good school with a supportive fan base for a reasonable salary. You want to bang the whore, sooner or later you get the clap.

or was it simply he felt ready for the big time?
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamostradamus View Post
    You want to bang the whore, sooner or later you get the clap.
    Haha bravo!

The last line of the article says, "But, either way, as Joani might say, he's going to be good. He's going to be good and he's going to be fine."

Yeah, anyone think TC's time at Indiana will end well?

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    All that being said, he should be in MU's HOF.
    Him and his Final 4 year are already in. Personally? I would take Rick first for his total coaching contributions. Heck, one could make the case of Buzz before Crean based on results (won the Big East, 3 Sweet 16's, 1 Elite 8, players in the NBA, fastest coach to 100 wins, winning %, etc.), although that would never happen for other reasons.

For whatever reasons, and I think it is wrong, Crean has a tarnished record at MU. I think it is also wrong that he has been erased from the timeline video, but the booing is a downer. He left a lot of bad blood.

You want to bang the whore, sooner or later you get the clap.
    I'm guessing Gato, Goose or IWB's version of this story is better than Hamo's version.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

The last line of the article says, "But, either way, as Joani might say, he's going to be good. He's going to be good and he's going to be fine."

Yeah, anyone think TC's time at Indiana will end well?
    In fairness, most coaching jobs at high profile colleges not named Duke, or Kansas don't end well, especially at places like II,II.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Yep agree with you, sorry if my point about the teacher wasn't clear.
    No, it was, I was just pointing out for myself.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by BLT View Post
    Him and his Final 4 year are already in. Personally? I would take Rick first for his total coaching contributions. Heck, one could make the case of Buzz before Crean based on results (won the Big East, 3 Sweet 16's, 1 Elite 8, players in the NBA, fastest coach to 100 wins, winning %, etc.), although that would never happen for other reasons.

For whatever reasons, and I think it is wrong, Crean has a tarnished record at MU. I think it is also wrong that he has been erased from the timeline video, but the booing is a downer. He left a lot of bad blood.

I'm sorry but Crean's record at MU is way better than Rick's. Rick is a great guy and all, represented MU well, and his "failures" were not really his fault, but standing side by side, Crean simply accomplished more.

Crean seems like an easy guy to dislike. I never met him, but from others I know who have say he comes off a bit like a used car salesman. His recruiting was up and down. For instance, MU gets to the Final Four but never builds off of it. He can't seem to take that next step. And he looks a bit like a pretty boy.

And the way he departed left some people with a bad taste. But many of those same people think O'Neil was a great yet his departure was completely classless.

But I think Gato is right. If he would have turned down IU and still at MU, he would still have been successful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I'm sorry but Crean's record at MU is way better than Rick's. Rick is a great guy and all, represented MU well, and his "failures" were not really his fault, but standing side by side, Crean simply accomplished more.

Crean seems like an easy guy to dislike. I never met him, but from others I know who have say he comes off a bit like a used car salesman. His recruiting was up and down. For instance, MU gets to the Final Four but never builds off of it. He can't seem to take that next step. And he looks a bit like a pretty boy.

And the way he departed left some people with a bad taste. But many of those same people think O'Neil was a great yet his departure was completely classless.

But I think Gato is right. If he would have turned down IU and still at MU, he would still have been successful.
    Totally agree on all counts. I get that some folks (including me) do not like how his departure went down and that he can be an abrasive personality, but he was successful. A Final Four coming out of the CUSA and immediate success in the old BE are hallmarks of his success. As Gato says, he should be in the MU HOF some day (after he retires probably).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast