Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fascinating read on Tom Crean ...

I wish Tom Crean was still here to get the students to the games.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    We need to get good again to get students to the game.

I don't dislike Crean and am very thankful for him getting Marquette Basketball back on the map.

I don't, however, respect him.

With Indiana, they went after him a few years prior when Sampson was hired, but he was not interested. He loved it at MU. When they came calling again after Sampson was let go, he again said no, then called them two days later and said he was interested.[/QUOTE]

So what changed?

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    With Indiana, they went after him a few years prior when Sampson was hired, but he was not interested. He loved it at MU. When they came calling again after Sampson was let go, he again said no, then called them two days later and said he was interested.
    So what changed?[/QUOTE]

Was kind of wondering the same thing. Was it something on Marquette's end or was it simply he felt ready for the big time?

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    So what changed?
    Was kind of wondering the same thing. Was it something on Marquette's end or was it simply he felt ready for the big time?[/QUOTE]

Seemed like the Shumpert recruitment was a blow, plus not getting over the 1st weekend hump 3 straight years.

Thing is, if he'd stayed and had managed to hold onto Tyshawn and Mbakwe, still replacing Christopherson with Jimmy Butler thanks to Buzz...holy sh1t. Would've been a lot better for him than those first 3 seasons at Indiana for sure.

If Crean had stayed, we would be talking about his legacy and we would build a bronze statue of him in the future. Pun intended. Instead, he tried to grab a better brass ring and has nothing but derision to show for it. It was in the cards, though. Mike Davis was treated like absolute crap 2 years after taking Indiana to the Final Four. What is happening to TC is no different than Davis. All that being said, he should be in MU's HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    We owe a lot to Crean, no doubt about that as he did tremendous things for our program. There are some idiots out there (irrational fans, professors, etc) that do and say stupid things that impact not only the coach but the coach's family, no doubt about that.

But I have to say, I don't really feel bad for him despite this articles attempt to make me feel that way. He took the Indiana job because as he said "It's Indiana" implying it's special and that you can win big at the school which if history is any indication he is correct. However with that school pedigree you also receive the constant pressure cooker because people expect results and rightfully so. Say what you will about the situation Sampson created or the Butler program or Purdue program but I think even Crean would admit he has not lived up to his expectations for Indiana basketball. Heck he could've stayed at Marquette and probably accomplished the same feats (conference title, S16, a few tourney appearances). The best thing he did was structure the contract with lofty buyouts. Had he not done that, my guess is he'd not be the coach at Indiana.
    First, what the teacher did was despicable.

As far as the negativity, Crean brings much of it on himself. His ironclad contract didn't win anyone over. His attitude does not lend itself to endearment.
    And he got what he wanted. Don't feel bad for him in the least. His family? Yes, they should not have to endure what they do.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
    First, what the teacher did was despicable.

As far as the negativity, Crean brings much of it on himself. His ironclad contract didn't win anyone over. His attitude does not lend itself to endearment.
    And he got what he wanted. Don't feel bad for him in the least. His family? Yes, they should not have to endure what they do.
    Yep agree with you, sorry if my point about the teacher wasn't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Monday night games against Valley City State and IUPUI...tough draws. Belmont was a good showing. Tomorrow should be as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast