Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aki to Clemson?

Coincidence. Clemson may not be the only school targeting Aki, Memphis may also be involved.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Coincidence. Clemson may not be the only school targeting Aki, Memphis may also be involved.
    OK I don't like this. Aki is clearly pretty highly regarded. Maybe he should be bumped up to Associate Head Coach with a pay raise?

Would really, really suck to lose Benford & Aki...especially in same offseason.

Did you ever think that Aki may just want a change and a bump up may not change his mind? Just from my experience in the general work world, many people like a change in scenery once in awhile.

I'm not worried about Buzz finding assistant coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Did you ever think that Aki may just want a change and a bump up may not change his mind? Just from my experience in the general work world, many people like a change in scenery once in awhile.

I'm not worried about Buzz finding assistant coaches.
    Yes, you could be right. Being closer to home may be the pull here.

I'm just saying if he has other opportunities and is on the fence about it, maybe he's deserving of the promotion and bump in pay (assuming there is a pay increase). Continuity is very important. There has been very little staff turnover during Buzz's tenure. To potentially lose Benford, Lundy, AND Aki is a huge blow, regardless of who Buzz can replace them with. There is a really talented recruiting class for '13 orally committed and the guys who played a huge part in their recruitment leaving cannot be a good thing.

Aki also mentioned with Georgetown.

Some coaches deserve to get the Associate Head Coach title and some don't. That's a decision Buzz has to make. You don't just promote a guy because he starts looking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    Some coaches deserve to get the Associate Head Coach title and some don't. That's a decision Buzz has to make. You don't just promote a guy because he starts looking around.
    If Georgetown, Clemson, and Memphis all are interested in him/possibly targeting him, he clearly is highly thought of. Looks to me like someone who is deserving. Maybe not, just throwing the idea out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    There is a really talented recruiting class for '13 orally committed and the guys who played a huge part in their recruitment leaving cannot be a good thing.
    I get where you're coming from with this, but I'm not worried about losing any of our 2013 class. Burton has talked about wanting to be the face of basketball in Milwaukee. He is the kind of leader you want, and he wants to be at Marquette. He came back from Brewster in part to start building up the MU program he already seemed to know he'd commit to by improving his connections with local guys. The guy was spending seemingly every day working out at the Al leading up to his commitment. And Wilson talks constantly on Twitter about how proud he is to be a Golden Eagle (okay...we may need to work on that ) and how he's Marquette for life.

If we were bringing in two guys that were out-of-state recruits, guys that were significantly on the fence, I'd be worried. But I don't think we have anything to worry about when it comes to Burton or Wilson. In all honesty, they may be more crucial to our 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes than any assistant coach we have or have had.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    I get where you're coming from with this, but I'm not worried about losing any of our 2013 class. Burton has talked about wanting to be the face of basketball in Milwaukee. He is the kind of leader you want, and he wants to be at Marquette. He came back from Brewster in part to start building up the MU program he already seemed to know he'd commit to by improving his connections with local guys. The guy was spending seemingly every day working out at the Al leading up to his commitment. And Wilson talks constantly on Twitter about how proud he is to be a Golden Eagle (okay...we may need to work on that ) and how he's Marquette for life.

If we were bringing in two guys that were out-of-state recruits, guys that were significantly on the fence, I'd be worried. But I don't think we have anything to worry about when it comes to Burton or Wilson. In all honesty, they may be more crucial to our 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes than any assistant coach we have or have had.
    Great point Brewcity. Hopefully those two lead to adding Looney as well. Keep Buzz here and I think this program has the potential to reach Al like heights.
    A lot of very good local talent coming up through the ranks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12