Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aki to Clemson?

Aki to Clemson?

Carey Rich @TheCaptain560: Brad Brownell's final three choices: Steve Smith(Georgia Southern); Aki Collins(Marquette); and Antwan Jackson(UMASS).All r good recruiters!

UL last year, now this. Is there some friction between he and Buzz?

Quote Originally Posted by MUfan12 View Post
    Carey Rich @TheCaptain560: Brad Brownell's final three choices: Steve Smith(Georgia Southern); Aki Collins(Marquette); and Antwan Jackson(UMASS).All r good recruiters!

UL last year, now this. Is there some friction between he and Buzz?
    I'm guessing that assistants usually have their names out there for the purposes of getting a raise. Most of them go year to year contractually I would assume.

Wouldn't Aki move up 1 spot with Bedford gone??

Quote Originally Posted by milkbone View Post
    Wouldn't Aki move up 1 spot with Bedford gone??

To me, doesn't sound like Aki just putting his name out there. Sounds like if Brownell decides to hire him, he'll leave.

That would be a bit concerning. Clemson is not an ACC power. Although, with Syracuse and Pitt coming aboard, it's definitely going to be the top hoops conference. Maybe that alone would be the reason?

I don't believe Benford leaving means Aki gets elevated. That's an option I'm sure, but I would hope Buzz can find someone comparable to Benford to replace his spot. A top assistant coach who would immediately be the top assistant, or even associate head coach right away. I looked at the timeframe the last time an assistant left (Layer), and Buzz didn't announce who was replacing him until late June. So, I don't expect anything anytime soon about this.

But if he has to replace two assistant's...and his two best recruiters...with a great 2013 class verbally on board. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    Sounds like if Brownell decides to hire him, he'll leave.
    I don't think that is the case. Aki is in a great situation and if he wants a head job, his best chance is at MU. If Buzz keeps MU on a high level, and Benford shows early success at North Texas, Aki will have a much better chance at a head coaching job that he would if he went to Clemson.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Wasn't Clemson considering a move to the Big 12? If so, may be a dicey situation for him. Also, wonder if this is a Monarch vs Aki situation relative to authority and rank within the team etc. Monarch and Buzz are tight and on the bench it is clear Buzz listens to Monarch the most. I like Aki and I think he is a very good representative of MU, in fact, very good in that regard. Personable, maybe moreso than Tony. Never know what the internal politics are. Hope Aki stays.

I've met Aki a couple times. He is a good man and represents MU well. As he says, his goal is to be a Div I HC. Who know about Clemson, though it is closer to his recruiting roots.

Maybe Aki is a little indifferent to some of the changes going on in Marquette athletics?

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Wasn't Clemson considering a move to the Big 12? If so, may be a dicey situation for him. Also, wonder if this is a Monarch vs Aki situation relative to authority and rank within the team etc. Monarch and Buzz are tight and on the bench it is clear Buzz listens to Monarch the most. I like Aki and I think he is a very good representative of MU, in fact, very good in that regard. Personable, maybe moreso than Tony. Never know what the internal politics are. Hope Aki stays.
    This is mostly on the money, and my thoughts vis a vis Monarch and Aki.

According to twitter, Clemson is showing interest in 2013 big Toby Hegner from Berlin, Wisconsin. Might be just a coincidence or .......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast