Thread: Who else is fired up?

Who else is fired up?

I don't remember the last time that I have been this fired up for a Marquette basketball season. Perhaps it was the Final Four year. Even when the triplets were seniors, there was all the drama with Crean leaving and Buzz was an unknown. We have a ton of guys that we can throw at people. We have height, athleticism, and better outside shooting. Sure, there will be growing pains at times, but half the fun for me is watching a team gel and improve. I think we are in for a great ride.

One way to make goals is to make one that you should reach, one that is attainable if you push, and one that is a reach. Here are mine for this year's team:

Goal: Make the dance
    Attainable goal: Sweet 16
    Reach: Big East Conference Champs

I like your optimism MuCrisco.

This team has a lot of talent, and a legit star in Henry E so I too am very excited. Can't wait to get to the BC.
    With so many young guys called upon to contribute, and no seniors on the team, this year could be like a roller coaster at times, especially if we have trouble shooting from the outside.

I really hope this team is like so many of those Izzo teams I've watched. Even if there are early bumps in the road, they are always playing at their peak down the stretch and into the tourney. Many a year, no matter how the regular season goes, there is Michigan State in the sweet 16 (especially when I don't pick them). It sure would be fun if this MU team is the same, and helps get to MuCrisco's attainable goal.

I am excited Crisco. Today college hoops tips off, running through the beginning of April, love it. For all of us that watch and follow a lot of basketball....we know when a team has talent (and potential). This MU team has a lot of talent (potential), but the caveat is the inexperience. Also, I think the Big East will be as strong if not slightly stronger than last year. So even if MU is vastly improved (no doubt about that), that may still leave us 5th or 6th in conference.

When is the last time MU had 6'10" and 6'11" at the 4/5 positions....with the 4 being able to shoot 3's, go coast-to-coast and score in the post to go along with a 5 that can run the floor, finish with either hand in the post and block shots. With both appearing to be good free throw shooters. With Duane Wilson leading the guards/wings, if that group can be strong, this team's potential is very high. I am sure there will be rough patches for the freshmen, but that is to be expected.

I will be a lot more fired up if we win tonight. Wrong or right (mostly wrong) I'm going to form an opinion of this team by how they play tonight. A win could catapult this team to a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by MUwarrior1090 View Post
    I will be a lot more fired up if we win tonight. Wrong or right (mostly wrong) I'm going to form an opinion of this team by how they play tonight. A win could catapult this team to a great start.
    Yes, we are going to learn a lot about this team tonight.

I am definitely not as excited about this year as I was for the year coming off the elite 8 run, I really thought we would ride that success to another good tournament run. I thought with Vander we would be a preseason top 10 team and had a chance at the final 4. Obviously that year turned out to be a massive disappointment.

With that said, I am ALWAYS excited about the return of Marquette Basketball regardless of the potential of the team. I think the ceiling for this team is somewhere in the 20-30 range, and the floor is higher than last years results. I think we will have a bumpy start to the year, but what I really want to see is progress throughout the year. This team is loaded with talent, and while most of it is young and likely won't produce a magical season this year, I want to see that there is hope for a strong next few years. I didn't get that feeling the previous two years.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"