Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First impressions?

My biggest worry is in the ball defense. It was horrible last year and bad yesterday. It seemed like a guy took two dribbles and we needed to help. Especially with such a young team, constantly helping and recovering will lead to a bunch of people out of position.
    The artist formerly known as cheebs09

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    The violins are out and playing you like a song.
    Ok, I guess.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    On a side note, Jae Crowder and some of his Celtic teammates were in the house last night, including Kelly Olynyk.
    Sitting right next to Jae Crowder was former UWM Panther, Avery Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Sitting right next to Jae Crowder was former UWM Panther, Avery Smith.
    Well, that's mind boggling...

I am not sure how bad the defense was. VCS shot 25% for the game. They only made 11 2 point baskets and at least 2 of those were because MU didn't get back on a made field goal. MU tended to over help on defense, leaving open threes. As a result, VCS made 7 of them, but only shot 33%. Gotta trust the bigs when you have two 6-11 guys underneath. There were a couple rotation problems. VCS was pretty small and the 5-4 point guard was really quick, so its tough to blame MU for has ability to penetrate. Were they a great defensive team last night? No. But, they weren't the horrible, unathletic mess of last year either.

As for the offense, I think it took a while for the freshmen to get into the game. The fouls really disrupted the flow of the game. Wilson didn't play well. Henry didn't shoot particularly well. I thought Luke was non-existent for the first 3/4 of the game. Fouls had a lot to do with it, but 3 boards is not acceptable. They frosh had their moments. HC had a terrific stretch after the game was decided. Cohen looked better than in Italy. More confident. I thought JJJ looked fine. He got pulled when he forced things on offensive. When he played in the flow of the game, he was good. They team needs to move the ball better. They were significantly better after hitting a couple of jump shots. It opened up the lane for LF and for guys to drive to the hoop.

Overall, they made too many silly mistakes because of their youth. There is obviously a lot of talent on the roster. This is a team that should improve by leaps and bounds as the season progresses. But, they have to realize that they can't win simply by being better athletically than the other team. I think Belmont will be up 10+ at half if they turn in the same performance Friday. On the other hand, if Wilson and some one else hits a few threes early, MU could overwhelm Belmont with their size and athletic ability. Should be a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Well, that's mind boggling...
    Local kids are close I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedbluegold03 View Post
    That was our thought after the first 15 minutes; this team is inexperienced enough with hand-check fouls and turnovers, Belmont may work them.
    I would not be surprised to see this team start 1-3, we are young and I think it will take us time to get things rolling consistently, I think we will finish strong though.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Homer and Broeker interviewed Jae Crowder during the 1st half of the game last night. Homer asked him who he still keeps in contact with from the former players and he mentioned Otule (Germany) Blue (LA), Johnson-Odum (Turkey) and one other I have forgotten. He said he received a package of MU stuff in the mail this week from Wojo. I assume this includes shirts, etc. Loves playing for the Celtics and enjoyed his time at MU. They kidded him about playing for a coach from Butler (Brad Stevens). Jae said he never doubted that he could be an NBA player from an early age.

One thing I really liked strategically was when Luke got the ball in the post. They have Henry on the weak side near the elbow, so if they choose to double Luke the defender that is doubling is likely leaving Henry. That leaves Henry open for a cut to the hoop or an elbow jumper. Worked successfully a few times last night.

Quote Originally Posted by MKE_GoldenEagleFan View Post
    I would not be surprised to see this team start 1-3, we are young and I think it will take us time to get things rolling consistently, I think we will finish strong though.
    Not at all impossible. For as weak as our non-con schedule is, it's incredibly front-loaded.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast