Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wojo , MU media day

I think the negativity regarding the non-conference schedule is a bit misunderstood. So many of the reporters read these sites to get their info. They see that people are unhappy with the non-conference schedule so they report about it and go as far as asking Wojo about it.

Look - the non conference schedule is not all that bad. Wojo responded with the teams that were a real challenge, ad there were more than a handful.

What people on these boards were unhappy about regarding the non conference schedule was the number of HOME GAMES that were less desirable. Maybe if those reporters/naysayers would take time to understand it, they would realize the non-conference schedule and the non-conference home schedule are two different things.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    I'm not sure what to think about UW this year.

I do know that this will be, by far, the least experienced team Bo has had at UW with five frosh and a red-shirt frosh. It will also be the youngest at the other end as there is not a senior on the roster with any real experience. Gee, kind of like MU.

There is no question that Hayes and Koenig are solid D-1 players, but both will be thrust into different roles this year, leadership roles. Happ is supposedly talented, but he has not played a minute of D-1 ball. The other guys - Brown, Showalter, Hill, and Dearing - have shown little.

On top of that, the Big 10-14 seems to have some pretty solid teams. Overall, I think the conference is stronger than it normally is.

Finally, UW's conference schedule is tougher than it has been in quite awhile as they play many of the stronger teams twice.

Bo has a terrific track record; one certainly can not ignore that. But it does not take long to have a program slide. We had eight consecutive years in the Big Dance and were coming off two Sweet 16s and an Elite Eight. Then, boom!

The Badgers could end up in the top four in the conference, but I wouldn't bet my mortgage on that happening. I think UW will more likely end up in the middle of the conference, in the 6th through 8th range. Time will tell.
    6 to 8? Don't see that even remotely happening. Back to back final fours for Hayes and Koenig. This is still a Bo Ryan coached team. How many teams can boast having 2 players like them that are proven and have won at a high level?

The two huge factors are experience and the Big 10 schedule.

Yes, Hayes and Koenig have been to back to back Final Fours, and that is huge, but the supporting cast has very limited PT. Now, can Hayes and Koenig lead that team to a top of conference finish? Sure, but they will need to rely on a lot of the inexperienced players.

Next is the schedule. This year Wisconsin has a very tough schedule. A schedule that last year's team could have handled, but that was not the schedule they had. This year they have Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland and Illinois twice. Last year it was Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, Iowa & Minnesota. That is a big difference.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

It will be interesting to see how Bo handles his team this year. Bo has notoriously had a short leash with young players, which frustrated many with respect to Dekker.

They have no frosh even close to the level that Dekker was coming in, yet I think this year Bo may have to let them play through some mistakes that he didn't allow Dekker to do, mainly because of the makeup of his roster.

Bo's a great coach and he will probably get the most out of his team, but it should be interesting with their inexperience and their conference slate.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    6 to 8? Don't see that even remotely happening. Back to back final fours for Hayes and Koenig. This is still a Bo Ryan coached team. How many teams can boast having 2 players like them that are proven and have won at a high level?
    MU had Diener, Novak and Merritt returning from the 2003 Final Four and in 2004 missed the NCAA tournament. The loss of Wade and Jackson were big losses.....as will be the losses of Kaminsky and Dekker for UW. Not to mention solid and experienced play from Gasser, Jackson and Dukan. Without a doubt, I like Maryland, Indiana, and Michigan before UW. Michigan State lost Trice and Dawson, but Izzo always has them exceeding their talent level. Even Purdue, has returning big man AJ Hammons and McDonalds All-American Caleb Swanigan. Right now I see UW finishing anywhere from 4-6 in the Big Ten. A lot will depend on how the newcomers can contribute. if they struggle, UW could have a rough year.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 10-07-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    The two huge factors are experience and the Big 10 schedule.

Yes, Hayes and Koenig have been to back to back Final Fours, and that is huge, but the supporting cast has very limited PT. Now, can Hayes and Koenig lead that team to a top of conference finish? Sure, but they will need to rely on a lot of the inexperienced players.

Next is the schedule. This year Wisconsin has a very tough schedule. A schedule that last year's team could have handled, but that was not the schedule they had. This year they have Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland and Illinois twice. Last year it was Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, Iowa & Minnesota. That is a big difference.
    Much tougher schedule this year. As a sidenote, a reason I love the Big East schedule of playing each team home and away. Provides a true, undisputed conference champion.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    Much tougher schedule this year. As a sidenote, a reason I love the Big East schedule of playing each team home and away. Provides a true, undisputed conference champion.
    Undisputed, yes. True...? That is often impacted by when you play teams affected by injury, illness, academic issues or chemistry issues. Just look at SHU last year. SHU spanked MU at the BC but a shorthanded MU team later beat the Pirates at SHU following all the issues that SHU had.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Undisputed, yes. True...? That is often impacted by when you play teams affected by injury, illness, academic issues or chemistry issues. Just look at SHU last year. SHU spanked MU at the BC but a shorthanded MU team later beat the Pirates at SHU following all the issues that SHU had.
    Good point, but playing each team twice is all the schedule makers can control. Injuries, illnesses and suspensions can never be controlled by schedule makers in any sport. Next man up, the point is that each team gets two shots against every other team.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    MU had Diener, Novak and Merritt returning from the 2003 Final Four and in 2004 missed the NCAA tournament. The loss of Wade and Jackson were big losses.....as will be the losses of Kaminsky and Dekker for UW. Not to mention solid and experienced play from Gasser, Jackson and Dukan. Without a doubt, I like Maryland, Indiana, and Michigan before UW. Michigan State lost Trice and Dawson, but Izzo always has them exceeding their talent level. Even Purdue, has returning big man AJ Hammons and McDonalds All-American Caleb Swanigan. Right now I see UW finishing anywhere from 4-6 in the Big Ten. A lot will depend on how the newcomers can contribute. if they struggle, UW could have a rough year.
    And we had Tom Crean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast