Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newspapers Sure Have Changed

Newspapers Sure Have Changed

The Milwaukee Journal sent Bill Dwyre to Queens to follow up on Dwyane Johnson back in 1981. Johnson was Marquette's priority recruit and would sign a couple months later.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,2357124&hl=en

I remember Rick Majerus, in another article about Dwayne Johnson in the Journal, saying ... "Dwayne Johnson will be the best high school player in America next year. Mark that down."

Wish I could actually read the entire article instead of just a couple of columns, but I can't figure out how to make that happen.

Also, interesting article on the team that year. The writer laid it all out about how serious that team's problems were and that Hank had no answers. You don't see that kind of article any more. That must have been Doc's frosh year. Names from the fairly-distant past - Schlundt, O. Lee, Doc, Michael Wilson, Marquardt, Artie Green. Pretty decent talent.

As far as Dwayne, I also recall Rick's quote. But then again, Rick was often given to hyperbole. He made some comments about Rod Grosse and Mike Davis that were so far off as to border on the ridiculous.

You mean biggest sleeper since Rip Van Winkle? Yup, kinda sounded like he spent too much with Rip's Pappy Van Winkle.

I have a laptop and hold the left button down and it goes into pan mode and I navigate it that way. There are also some features at the top of the article that you can use to navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    I have a laptop and hold the left button down and it goes into pan mode and I navigate it that way. There are also some features at the top of the article that you can use to navigate.
    Yes, just hold the left down the left clicker on the mouse and navigate.

He was great in Ballers!

I have posted this before but it bears repeating (or I am starting with Murf styled dementia): I have run into Dwayne Johnson at MSG and Orlando at Marquette games. Although he finished his career at Whitewater, he considers himself a part of the MU family! Nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    I have posted this before but it bears repeating (or I am starting with Murf styled dementia): I have run into Dwayne Johnson at MSG and Orlando at Marquette games. Although he finished his career at Whitewater, he considers himself a part of the MU family! Nice guy.
    Those academics got in his way at MU. Do you know what he is doing now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast