Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bucky Game

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    

I will be shocked if we win. UW will be top 4 in big ten and a 6 seed. We aren't near that. Book it.
    In the past Bo has always had guys who were ready to make that jump. Look at Kaminsky's efficiency as an underclassman. Guys like Leuer, Nankivil, and Berggren were all solid bench players as underclassmen before stepping up when they got the chance.

There's no one remotely proven as a decent backup for Bo. Vitto Brown was terrible behind Kaminsky, one of Bo's worst offensively efficient players ever. And he's their most reliable reserve that needs to step up. Just to have a marginally effective bench, they need Brown, Happ, and three more completely untested guys to be reliable 20+ mpg guys. Bo has never needed freshmen to step up like he does this year.

The consensus is that Bo will succeed because he always does. However it's just as honest to say he's always succeeded because he had proven underclassmen reserves stepping into bigger roles as junior and seniors. The next time Bo wins with heavy contributions from multiple freshmen will be the first time. With that schedule, I don't think he's a safe bet.



I will be shocked if we win. UW will be top 4 in big ten and a 6 seed. We aren't near that. Book it.
    Wow, "shocked" if MU wins? I can understand picking UW to win, but I tend to think it will be a close game that could go either way. It really is tough to predict how either team will be given it is July 31 and each team wil rely on a lot of new players. On paper, I like MU's matchups at the 4 and 5 and think Duane can match Koenig on the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Traevon Jackson as well. Yes, he was injured down the stretch last year., But, I'm sure Bo was holding his breath had Koenig been injured.
    Thanks Nuke, I had forgotten about Traevon. So they lost 5 of top 7, and people expect them to be the same old Badgers?????

Like I said earlier, if they are, it will be Bo's best coaching job ever!

The reality will likely be somewhere in the middle of these predictions... I think some here underestimate how good Koening & Hayes are and I think some of us put too much stock into Bo's track record. That said I'll side with the track record until he proves us wrong.

I give UW the edge in head to head because they have home court and their two best players have a ton of experience whereas ours are young and relatively inexperienced.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by MKE_GoldenEagleFan View Post
    The reality will likely be somewhere in the middle of these predictions... I think some here underestimate how good Koening & Hayes are and I think some of us put too much stock into Bo's track record. That said I'll side with the track record until he proves us wrong.

I give UW the edge in head to head because they have home court and their two best players have a ton of experience whereas ours are young and relatively inexperienced.
    Hard to argue with that logic.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    Wow, "shocked" if MU wins? I can understand picking UW to win, but I tend to think it will be a close game that could go either way. It really is tough to predict how either team will be given it is July 31 and each team wil rely on a lot of new players. On paper, I like MU's matchups at the 4 and 5 and think Duane can match Koenig on the perimeter.
    We have noone that has proven themselves yet as Hayes and Koenig have. Could it be Wilson and Fischer? Sure. But those two just went to back to back Final Fours. Our two guys finished last in the Big East. I am very encouraged about the future, but UW has shown they reload every year under Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    In the past Bo has always had guys who were ready to make that jump. Look at Kaminsky's efficiency as an underclassman. Guys like Leuer, Nankivil, and Berggren were all solid bench players as underclassmen before stepping up when they got the chance.

There's no one remotely proven as a decent backup for Bo. Vitto Brown was terrible behind Kaminsky, one of Bo's worst offensively efficient players ever. And he's their most reliable reserve that needs to step up. Just to have a marginally effective bench, they need Brown, Happ, and three more completely untested guys to be reliable 20+ mpg guys. Bo has never needed freshmen to step up like he does this year.

The consensus is that Bo will succeed because he always does. However it's just as honest to say he's always succeeded because he had proven underclassmen reserves stepping into bigger roles as junior and seniors. The next time Bo wins with heavy contributions from multiple freshmen will be the first time. With that schedule, I don't think he's a safe bet.
    Kaminsky was terrible his frosh year. So was Jordan Taylor. They already have 2 potential first team players with Hayes and Koenig. Vitto Brown will take a giant leap and Happ supposedly is very strong.

Kaminsky was terrible his frosh year. So was Jordan Taylor. They already have 2 potential first team players with Hayes and Koenig. Vitto Brown will take a giant leap and Happ supposedly is very strong.
    Kaminsky wasn't terrible his frosh year. 105.8 ORTG and 50.0 EFG%. He was also a solid rebounder. But he only played 7.7 mpg behind Berggren. They didn't need him to be good. As a sophomore, he was highly efficient but only played 10.3 mpg. There was every sign he would be a star.

Taylor started rough, but I didn't mention him. Vitto Brown is and always has been terrible at Wisconsin. He could take a huge jump and still be a below average player, especially by their standards. Happ could be a D-Wade type practice player or a D-Fitz. No way of knowing until he plays. But even then that's only 4 guys. I'd grant Showalter as a adequate roleplayer, but that leaves a bench that will pretty much be all freshmen.

This team is everything that successful Bo Ryan teams are not. No seniors. No experienced backups that have shown they are ready to step up. Many freshmen that have never played before having to play key roles. If Bo can get this team to the NCAAs, it would be a greater accomplishment than back-to-back Final Fours.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Kaminsky wasn't terrible his frosh year. 105.8 ORTG and 50.0 EFG%. He was also a solid rebounder. But he only played 7.7 mpg behind Berggren. They didn't need him to be good. As a sophomore, he was highly efficient but only played 10.3 mpg. There was every sign he would be a star.

Sorry, but Kaminsky looked like a clod as a frosh. Yeah, he had a nice looking stand still catch and shoot shot. But, he looked horrible otherwise. Every sign that he would be a star...uhh NO...

Losing two NBA first rounders and 5 of top 7 will be very tough for Bucky. Look how we were damaged goods when DWade left, even though we had some pretty good talent coming up from behind especially in Diener and Novak. I would be shocked if Bucky does not struggle, especially early.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast