Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O.t. Wwc

O.t. Wwc

I thought Fox's coverage of the Women's World Cup was excellent.

I remember the days not all that long ago when critics of soccer in general said that Americans would never watch soccer on t.v. - that the game did not lend itself to television.

They also said that lack of scoring would prevent the game from becoming popular in the U.S.

I found the games truly enjoyable and exciting whether the score ended up 1-0, 3-1, or 5-2. I love the fact that you can watch 45 minutes of play without commercials. Just continuous play.

The NBA playoffs drove me crazy with all the commercials - sometimes four or five minutes of play, then five or six minutes of commercials. Wish college basketball would do the same as soccer - 20 minutes of play per half with each coach getting two time outs per half but no break-to-commercials. Have a 20-minute half time and run all the commercials during the half time break.

But back to soccer. The women are amazing - terrific athletes, awesome skills, great teamwork.

Anyway, congrats to the US Women's Team on a superb tournament.

Agreed, though I may be biased as soccer and CBB are my two main sports. The presentation was excellent by Fox and there's a lot to like about the women's game. Far less diving, for one. I love 45 minutes without interruption. You'll never see that with traditional American sports, but I feel hockey does it better, with fewer breaks and longer intermissions.

The women were fantastic, and this was truly a case of watching a team get better throughout the competition. Whereas they were somewhat timid and less organized in the group stage, the team really came together in the elimination games. Colombia tested them and I felt by the China game they really started to play well and create chances. Obviously some dubious reffing decisions in the Germany game, but you play the hand you are dealt and Germany botched their chance while we made the most of ours.

Yesterday was amazing. The first 16 minutes I was in shock. Clearly they found the finishing touch. Japan tried to make it interesting, but down 4-0 that fast, against that defense and keeper, what can you do? They mentioned that the USA scored more on Japan than the Japanese had conceded the entire tournament. Well, Japan did the same to the USA, who had only conceded 1 to Australia before Japan put 2 past Solo.

Great performance, great win. Looking forward to the men playing in the Gold Cup (kicks off v Honduras tomorrow) and the Olympics next year.

It was a huge month for FS1 with the Women's World Cup, Nascar, Golf and the normal UFC & MLB.

I loved the studio set-up in Vancouver for the WWC.
    March Madness starts in November

Tells you that live programming is really the only thing that is going to bring eyeballs to the network. The other stuff is all fluff.

This is why while the Big Ten is huge, the upcoming contract for the Premier League is massive as well. The sport is drawing a lot more eyes than it used to. I know for decades the cliche was that soccer would never make it in the States, but the reality is it's starting to make it. People are watching international competitions in record numbers and paying attention to leagues both foreign and domestic in ways we never saw back in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    This is why while the Big Ten is huge, the upcoming contract for the Premier League is massive as well. The sport is drawing a lot more eyes than it used to. I know for decades the cliche was that soccer would never make it in the States, but the reality is it's starting to make it. People are watching international competitions in record numbers and paying attention to leagues both foreign and domestic in ways we never saw back in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s.
    The demographics of the USA are changing as well, so the trend will continue to favor soccer on the rise.

As someone who never watched soccer I have to admit that the world cups (both Men & Women) have been very exciting, I don't get too much into MLS or EPL because I don't really have a home town team, although now that I moved to Houston maybe I could follow the Dynamo. With that said I now have at least a very small interest in soccer whereas in the past I had 0.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by MKE_GoldenEagleFan View Post
    As someone who never watched soccer I have to admit that the world cups (both Men & Women) have been very exciting, I don't get too much into MLS or EPL because I don't really have a home town team, although now that I moved to Houston maybe I could follow the Dynamo. With that said I now have at least a very small interest in soccer whereas in the past I had 0.
    For the sport, that's a huge win. For so long, it was almost like not watching the sport was a bigger badge of honor than watching it. People made a huge deal of how they had no interest. Now the sport has become mainstream enough that those viewers that never would have watched previously will at least tune in when they have an interest.

Off the topic of viewership, I just want to take a second to praise Carli Lloyd's third goal. That midfield strike was an absolute stunner. Every aspect of it was just flawless. The first touch to make the turn, skipping past her defender, then shedding the defender and at the same time having the vision to look up the pitch and catch the keeper off her line, and finally having the composure to launch an inch perfect strike from 50 yards away while at full gallop. Just world class stuff.

Seriously, if Messi, Ronaldo, or any of the male superstars had executed a goal of that pure class on that stage, it would go down as one of the best goals in the history of the sport. Mark that one down, because it's the type of goal that deserves to be replayed again and again for generations.

I watched and throughly enjoyed the World Cup but I imagine I fall into the category of many viewers who mostly watched because it was team USA and not because they love soccer.

It is very similar to the Olympics for me where I will watch many sports that I don't really care about.

Great event and very exciting with all the scoring. Lloyd was unbelievable.

I thoroughly enjoyed it as well - they scored those first 3 goals while I was washing the dishes. The crowd looked bigger than 53,000, but less than the Grateful Dead concert which looked like a few million.

In any event, I was hoping for more face time...I mean playing time for Christen Press, but purely for non-soccer related reasons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast