Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Academic standards for basketball recruits

Academic standards for basketball recruits

It gets to me when some people look down at those of us who didn’t go to “big name” colleges or even went to a community college. As a television news director I’ve hired grads from schools ranging from Northwestern, Duke and Southern Cal to Sam Houston State, Oklahoma East Central and Bacone College. It’s not the school it’s the quality of the person and the fire they have inside.

As far as Marquette Basketball recruiting goes the administration needs to function with an open mind. Last time I checked that was the best way to learn. The program is in the best shape it has been since the McGuire Era and it’s not that way because of decisions the current school president and AD made. I’m sure both gentlemen are open to supporting the success of the program, the individuals who have achieved that success and upholding the outstanding principles of the Jesuits. The last factor of "Jesuit Principles" should leave room to consider the individual's life journey.

Good points Tulsa. I have always said, it really doesn't matter where you went to college, but what you got out of it, what that school did to make you who you are. I went to a small school and some of my closest friends retired in their early 30s. They made a ton of cash and it didn't matter where they went. If you have what it takes, it doesn't matter where you are from.

Your point about leaving room to consider the individual's life journey is one that I have always thought should apply with the NCAA.

Some of these kids, no matter where they are from, inner city, suburbs etc - did they really "get it" when they were freshmen in high school? Or sophomores even? When the NCAA looks at core credits they look at all four years, and unlike colleges, with the NCAA high school kids can't "re-take a course". So, say a kid is with the wrong crowd and has no parental support as a freshman, and he bombs all of his classes. Over the next two years he develops as an athlete and starts to get it, turns it around in the classroom and off the court - that's just too bad - you screwed up your freshman year when you were 14, - you are hereby sentenced to go the Juco route. Is that right? Shouldn't there be consideration for how the kid has developed as a student? Developed as a person?

Every college has their own criteria for accepting new students - they look at activities, their development etc. If a kid had a 1.0 GPA as a freshmen, a 1.5 as a soph, 3.0 as a junior and 3.5 as a senior, would the admissions office look at him and say - "sorry, you blew you chance your freshman year" or would they look at it as a kid who has come a long way and accept them? The NCAA would say "Sorry, you blew it".
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Does anyone know what were the actual changes in MU's academic requirements. I presume the changes were applicable to all SAs.

No clue, and in reality, no one from MU has ever confirmed that there have been changes, that is all internal.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Perhaps for PR reasons alone the Marquette Administration needs to articulate a policy publically ; - )

I would be happy with an affirmation to high academic standards while considering individual situations, on a case by case basis. I fear Dwyane Wade couldn't get into Marquette these days. He has proven to be an outstanding representative of Marquette. Look at all the %$#@! he had to deal with as a kid. Do you just accept kids from neighborhoods with grass in the yard and no cracked sidewalks?

Let someone in who has shown promise and review their standing on a semester by semester basis. That would be in the Jesuit tradition.

There have been some players over the years like Bo Ellis who admittedly wouldn't have gotten into Marquette in todays standards who have gone on to graduate and who have continued to be involved in the school and they've contributed more to the school than most graduates and thats the type of thing the academic types forget about.

Life isn't always about ACT's and GPA's and IWB brought that up. If you give people a chance to accomplish things, that's the first key. I'm guessing the Scranton's, the Penn's, the Notre Dame's and Stanford's don't always see it that way. Marquette is a different school and has always embraced students from different ethnic, academic and financial backgrounds and they should remember that.
    Last edited by TedBaxter; 05-08-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaWarrior View Post
    Perhaps for PR reasons alone the Marquette Administration needs to articulate a policy publically ; - )

I would be happy with an affirmation to high academic standards while considering individual situations, on a case by case basis. I fear Dwyane Wade couldn't get into Marquette these days. He has proven to be an outstanding representative of Marquette. Look at all the %$#@! he had to deal with as a kid. Do you just accept kids from neighborhoods with grass in the yard and no cracked sidewalks?

Let someone in who has shown promise and review their standing on a semester by semester basis. That would be in the Jesuit tradition.
    Actually, year by year requirements for GPA and total credits are posted in the academic section of gomarquette.com. Don't know if those are still in force.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Actually, year by year requirements for GPA and total credits are posted in the academic section of gomarquette.com. Don't know if those are still in force.
    Those are the current ones, which are the same as the NCAA's. Don't know what the "rumored" changes are, or if there are truly any changes forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaWarrior View Post

I have mentioned to some on this board that if the changes are true, Pilarz will remind me more of Fr. Albert DiUlio. And I do not remember the good father affectionately.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I have mentioned to some on this board that if the changes are true, Pilarz will remind me more of Fr. Albert DiUlio. And I do not remember the good father affectionately.
    Guys, I've tried to remain silent through all this, and I don't feel it's appropriate for me to say very much. All I'll say is that before you start bashing the priest who runs our school and the big, bad Administration, maybe first see what actually transpires. Everyone on here seems to be operating with a lot of supposition and anger without knowing all the facts. I know it is difficult to remain patient and level-headed with all these rumors floating around, but I'd urge everyone to try to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast