Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trivia Question #3

Trivia Question #3

I apologize in advance to the younger posters on this site as the first few questions have involved knowledge of MU hoops going back 40+ years. This one goes back even further.

Over the past 50+ years, MU has had a number of starters whose home town was in the state of Pennsylvania. I can think of at least seven former MU players who played high school ball in PA, including three who were starters on the same team.

Who are the seven former MU players from PA, and which three played together. I am sure some of the other old-timers will have little difficulty with these two questions.

Marotta and Payne are two I think.

Joe Nethen and Lloyd Moore

Actually, I forgot about Nethen. I guess he was a starter, but I'm not positive. I think he and Leurck split time at the 4. Anyway, if he was a regular starter, that would make it eight from PA. Three to go - the three teammates.

From what I just read, apparently Nethen won the MU "super-sub" award his sophomore year, and then he transferred at the end of first semester his junior year. So I guess he was never really a regular starter, but so what? Another guy from PA.
    Last edited by Phantom Warrior; 06-17-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Actually, I forgot about Nethen. I guess he was a starter, but I'm not positive. I think he and Leurck split time at the 4. Anyway, if he was a regular starter, that would make it eight from PA. Three to go - the three teammates.

From what I just read, apparently Nethen won the MU "super-sub" award his sophomore year, and then he transferred at the end of first semester his junior year. So I guess he was never really a regular starter, but so what? Another guy from PA.
    Nethen did start for a while. Always remember his big game against Xavier (Tyrone Hill?). Academics and injury did him in.

By the way, two of the three players from PA who played together at MU were also high school teammates.

That may be the only time in MU modern hoops history that two high school teammates not only played together at MU but started together. (Jerel and Mo were high school teammates and MU teammates, but I don't think they started together except when D.J. was injured at the end of his senior season.)

DJ Newbill? Oops...sorry.

Tyrone Baldwin played with Joe Nethen

Wow, Nukem2, good call. You're right on.

I had also forgotten about Baldwin being from Pittsburg. That is nine players from PA over the years. And Nethen and Baldwin did play together, though again, Nethen won the super-sub award his sophomore year, and I know he didn't start his frosh season.

Bottom line, even more guys from PA than I had thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast