Thread: Kent Benson

Kent Benson

My father always used to tell me that the greatest time to be alive in the history of Milwaukee was the summer of 1977. Marquette was rolling off a national championship and the Bucks had the number one pick in the draft. Who'd they pick? Kent Benson. Everyone who followed basketball in the Brew City was riding high that summer as my dad used to tell it.

My dad's buddy even named his son after Kent Benson after he knocked up his high school girlfriend that summer. He always used to tell me that the kid should be glad the Bucks didn't pick second that year because then his name might have been Otis Birdsong.

We did get Marques Johnson in that draft. I don't like retired numbers, but his jersey is one I'd consider hanging from the rafters. He could flat out score.

Wasn't it pretty early in Benson's rookie year that Kareem decked him? Did Kareem quasi-blindside him?

Wasn't it like his first game?

Punch happened two minutes into his first game. Benson never recovered. Never was quite as aggressive. But, he was a key piece in the trade for Lanier, so he ended up having value. MJ was a stud. His drug use during his time in Milwaukee is the only reason his number isn't hanging from the rafters (and a major reason for the trade to the Clippers, which netted the Bucks Terry Cummings, Ricky Pierce and Craig Hodges). Grunfeld, the third 1st round pick the Bucks had in that draft, was a better player than a GM. Although, he was nothing more that a role player.

Quote Originally Posted by MU88 View Post
    Punch happened two minutes into his first game. Benson never recovered. Never was quite as aggressive. But, he was a key piece in the trade for Lanier, so he ended up having value. MJ was a stud. His drug use during his time in Milwaukee is the only reason his number isn't hanging from the rafters (and a major reason for the trade to the Clippers, which netted the Bucks Terry Cummings, Ricky Pierce and Craig Hodges). Grunfeld, the third 1st round pick the Bucks had in that draft, was a better player than a GM. Although, he was nothing more that a role player.
    IIRC, didn't MJ have a relatively disappointing last season at UCLA which made his rookie year that more surprising and impressive. I recall Sports Illustrated having a big article on him his rookie year which matched up to my freshman year at MU. Fun team to follow that year. Lloyd Walton at the point got some decent PT. Gosh, was he quick - penetrate and dish.