Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sports Medicine Center

March Madness starts in November

Impressive. Nice addition to the athletic department at Marquette and helps bridge the gap between downtown and MU. Doesn't hurt to be involved with the Bucks either.

Would have been nice to see more academic buildings spread out east...but it does look pretty.

I would say do not spend to much money on this till the Bucks deal is done. Bucks leave the center dye's

Incredible opportunity for MU to partner with the deep pocket owners of the Bucks, who really want to develop top level sports training research.

I can imagine such a facility will also elevate the other athletic programs at MU. You want to train at top sports medicine facility, come to MU.

Would it be possible to add some seats and play some lacrosse / soccer games indoors early in the season? Indoor conference track championships or big indoor track meets?

Great opportunity for MU athletics with the proposed new Bucks facility and this new sports medicine complex.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFLA View Post
    Would have been nice to see more academic buildings spread out east...but it does look pretty.
    The problem with putting academic buildings back there would be the time in between classes. Would be tough to get from a class at Lalumiere or one of the Wehr's down to that area in 10 minutes.

you are probably correct about the walk time. Was thinking it would be a good spot to replace some of the outdated bldgs (like the Wehrs etc)

Was at Dr. Lovell's talk at Freshwater Center tonight. He has a lot of plates spinning but he said the training facility was the result of Wes Edens and he talking about new arena. He was looking to advance MU health sciences. Edens was involved in US Ski Team which had the first such facility and it greatly increased their medal take. Edens wanted to attract free agents to the Bucks and believed the could increase players' careers if they had proper medical and rehab training minds and facilities. They realized they were talking about the same thing and decided to do it together rather than separately. My hunch is funding is not a problem.

They wouldn't be making such an announcement if funding was in any way in doubt. (Although my guess is it was strategically done while arena negotiations are going on.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast