Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Changer for HS Basketball vs AAU?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    By the way Crisco, I really do appreciate your insight into these topics, as I know you are heavily involved. Thanks.
    I enjoy discussing these things and you and I always have good discussions. Your insight is valuable to me. I think you can learn something from everybody and you always have to be willing to learn. The guy that thinks he knows everything probably doesn't know much at all. I love having these discussions and there is no better place than this board to talk about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    By the way Crisco, I really do appreciate your insight into these topics, as I know you are heavily involved. Thanks.
    +1000

It's about time the WIAA actually made a rational decision regarding coaches being able to coach/work with their players during the summer. It is long overdue. The five "contact days" was a token drop in the proverbial bucket.

Oddly, the new guidelines mirror those of the archdiocese with respect to middle school basketball. Three of the last four years I coached the same girls (and a few others) that I either had coached the previous season or would coach the upcoming season in a summer league. But we were not allowed to use any school facilities or school funds, and we could not use the school's name.

So, we entered summer league play as the Warriors, the families paid for the girls' jerseys and the fee to play in the league, and we practiced once a week in another gym. There were other school teams that did essentially the same thing. In fact, one summer the league was at St. Mary's of Menomonee Falls and included a number of teams from specific schools/parishes.

This approach has been going on for years. It's a shame it took the WIAA so long to emulate it.

Coaches got around the rule by having others run the summer programs. The end of May through June is a big month for HS. Thats why there are no tourneys for the HS kids in June. I have spoken to several HS coaches. Its a good and bad thing for the reasons listed above. Coaches don't make money to coach and are concerned about their free time. How involved do they now become? If coach X is doing it, then coach Y has to do it. The summer AAU is where colleges do their scouting and thats why kids play the AAU circuit. This rule won't change it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12