Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 30 second shot clock

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    Allow me to be the dissenting voice.

I watched Loyola play in the CBI where they used a 30-second clock on an experimental basis. IMO, the experiment was a failure. There were several shot clock violations a game, and lots of desperation shots put up. These were not elite teams, more like middle-of-the-pack teams. They were just not good enough to get a good shot off in 30 seconds. Maybe that would improve if everybody had to do it and got used to it, but I think not. The fact is, the NBA players are so good that they set up plays that go so fast you can hardly see them. Even on a lower level, I remember seeing a CBA game up close. These are the guys who were trying to crack the NBA, or had been there and were trying to get back. The difference in talent between them and a typical college team was immense. I think if you are looking at teams outside the top 25 or so, you are going to see lots of throwing the ball around and throwing up desperation shots. Not pretty to look at.
    Yes, but you have to remember that these teams didn't spend a lot of time preparing for the time difference, they were use to the 35 second clock. Give these guys an offseason to practice with it and they will be fine. There is a lot of standing around in college basketball and I think this could help some. Will it dramatically increase scoring? No. But I think it is a move in the right direction.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    If the shot clock goes to 30, I could see more teams using full court pressure defense. Make the other team take 7 or 8 seconds to get the ball past half court and give them 22 or 23 seconds to run offense. I'm not sure it will lead to an increase in scoring if college teams have less time to run offense. It may just lead to more bad shots.

The shot clock combined with the individual talent level in the NBA lends itself to more one on one / individual create type basketball.
    Shot clock running down, give it to the star and get out of the way.

So many basketball fans I talk to don't watch much NBA, or don't watch until 4th quarter and prefer the college game to the pro game. Yet many of these same college fans seem to want rule changes that help mirror the college game to the pro game.

Curious what others think. If you were a coach, would your defensive approach change at all with a 30 second clock over a 35 second clock (more full court pressure / more zone)?
    Ok, college basketball is a great game. Why do they need to make changes every year?

Shot clock - As Goose said, it will most certainly lead to more bad shots. Guys will be forcing it up at the end. We have enough of that now, why do we need more? It will also result in individual create type of basketball which is not needed in college.

Why is there a need for this? To increase scoring? Why? Why do they always need to be more like the NBA? Want to increase scoring? Get AAU coaches to teach kids how to shoot a mid range jumper.

This forum is filled with hard core basketball fans. We talk basketball here 24x7x365.....when was the last time we had a thread complaining about how low scoring the college game is? We haven't.

Shot clock is fine where it is, but I do like the reset ideas, no full reset after a foul, missed shot etc. Maybe always reset back to the last 5 second spot?

Next is the widening of the lane. Why does this need to happen?
    Are teams getting too many putbacks off of missed free throws?
    Are there not enough guards getting rebounds off of missed free throws? There is no need for this.

Seriously, answer these two questions....

1) Why do they need to widen the lane?
    Is there an actual serious problem that is injury related or otherwise that warrants this change?

2) Why do they need to adjust the shot clock?
    Because the game is too slow? This will delay it more.
    Because there is not enough scoring? Teach them how to shoot over 35%.

Last year there were 70 teams that averaged 70 points or more. Wisconsin, who has always been ripped for low scores, averaged 76. Teams like Michigan State, Louisville, LSU, Oklahoma, Northern Iowa...they all averaged less than that. Why penalize those teams, because they are good at what they do?

Seriously, what is the serious problem that needs to be fixed other than bad shooting?
    Last edited by IWB; 04-28-2015 at 10:44 AM.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I want a 24 second shot clock just to F with Bo Ryan and no other reason.

College basketball is a great game. Just like many other sports, it can be improved. All sports tweak their rules from time to time to deal with perceived flaws. And IMO the lack of offense is a flaw. Just because we haven't talked about it on a hard core message board doesn't mean that others haven't.

As I mentioned, I don't think the shot clock is going to make much of a difference. But I do think the widening of the lane is going to move people out and create more driving lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Ok, college basketball is a great game. Why do they need to make changes every year?

Why is there a need for this? To increase scoring? Why? Why do they always need to be more like the NBA? Want to increase scoring? Get AAU coaches to teach kids how to shoot a mid range jumper.

Seriously, what is the serious problem that needs to be fixed other than bad shooting?
    In addition to kids leaving early, learning to shoot a shot other than a 3 or a dunk would help scoring.

I just took a quick look at the NCAA championship games from 1960 to the present. The decade with the highest scores for the winner / loser of the championship games were the 1970's, which was also the last decade played before the shot clock and 3 point shot.

Not sure the shot clock will change scoring, as that will only be accomplished with better shooters / scorers. I do like some of the ideas about not resetting to a full 35 after certain situations.

How does widening the lane move defensive players out to create those driving lanes? Unless they go to the Defensive 3 second rule like the NBA(which I don't see happening) won't teams still pack the lane on D like the do now?

The only way to open up driving lanes is to space the floor better with shooters....which can be done now without widening the lane

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Could such a rule have the opposite impact? If you shorten the shot clock to something close to the NBA, my guess is you might see more success from teams like Wisconsin that normally like to have multiple outside shooters and are more disciplined.

With less time to develop offense, or probe for driving lanes, teams that have multiple outside shooters may be the better model. The 3 point shooters may become more of a premium as teams would likely have to settle for more outside shooting with less time to develop offense. I'd think zone defenses might be more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Bo says he is fine with a 30 second clock......still whining about the officiating in the championship game.......pathetic.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ke-loss-stings

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123