Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Big East Offseason Thread

Didn't 'Cuse just sign a 4 year home and home with Georgetown too?

Extended home and homes with St. John's and Georgetown - No question that Boeheim did not want to leave the Big East.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Didn't 'Cuse just sign a 4 year home and home with Georgetown too?

Extended home and homes with St. John's and Georgetown - No question that Boeheim did not want to leave the Big East.
    Smart guy. He gets the best of both worlds. Plays in the ACC, but keeps the big East roots, interest, and games in NY and DC alive.

If you are recruiting a NY kid or DC kid you can say we not only play in the ACC, but we also play in NY, DC, Boston, Pittsburgh.

What does MU get for a real good HM home game compared to a Buy game? Factoring in the $100K we pay to have them play us and travel EXP for a extra away game and TV rev (which for Buy games is almost nothing) As TV rev goes up and the cost of Buy games goes up I wonder if teams start having fewer and fewer buy games and more home and home. Beating a Buy team at home and losing to a good team on the road is about a push in RPI.

IE playing ND at home every other year generates 1 million and playing a buy games generates $400,000 that would mean we would make $200,000 more playing ND at home every other year then playing 2 NSEW state college. As a season ticket holder I would be happy to pay the same for 1 less home game and switch 2 of our Buy games to 2 home and home Vs 2 ND type of schools. be nice to do them in 4 year deals to get a little rivalry.

The television revenue is unchanged for a buy game versus a HM game. Fox has the first rights to broadcast all of Marquette's home games regardless of the opponent and regardless of the number of home games per year.

So since the ticket revenue is basically the same, and the television rights are unchanged, the only variable is the check you have to cut for the buy game. However you make up for that by having an extra home game the next year. (Because you don't have to return the favor.)

Now in the long-run, you can't just have buy games. The season tickets lose value and people won't re-up. The television contract also loses value the next time you have to negotiate. Coaches likely want a couple top opponents before the season starts too.

So when Fox picks up the WISC game every year MU gets no more money for TV then if they don't? Ticket revenue does go up. you get 3000-4000 more for a hi-major home and home then a buy game. Plus there would have to be some kind of goodwill value placed on a national TV game compared to a regional game, plus ESPN ETC coverage. Maybe its just me and I will not drive up from Chicago to see more then 1 buy game and have to give the tickets away basically.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    The television revenue is unchanged for a buy game versus a HM game. Fox has the first rights to broadcast all of Marquette's home games regardless of the opponent and regardless of the number of home games per year.

So since the ticket revenue is basically the same, and the television rights are unchanged, the only variable is the check you have to cut for the buy game. However you make up for that by having an extra home game the next year. (Because you don't have to return the favor.)

Now in the long-run, you can't just have buy games. The season tickets lose value and people won't re-up. The television contract also loses value the next time you have to negotiate. Coaches likely want a couple top opponents before the season starts too.
    If the conference TV partner (in this case fox) has the rights to all home games, I guess it shows why some of the big boys like to play the neutral site games. Cut their own one time TV deal.

Quote Originally Posted by KMWTRUCKS View Post
    So when Fox picks up the WISC game every year MU gets no more money for TV then if they don't?

For every game played at the Bradley Center, Fox has the television rights to the game. They may chose to televise on Fox, FS1 or FS2, or sell the rights to another network like CBS Sports. This is part of their television contract with the conference.

I am sure it isn't quite that simple. But they don't pay Marquette more money for HM opponents versus buy games. Now they may squawk a bit if they don't get enough good games, etc. But there is no additional $$$ from television rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    If the conference TV partner (in this case fox) has the rights to all home games, I guess it shows why some of the big boys like to play the neutral site games. Cut their own one time TV deal.

Like when Marquette played out in NYC at the Coaches v. Cancer. Or when they play in their Thanksgiving tournaments. There is a sponsoring organization that sells television rights, recruits and selects the teams (likely in conjunction with the network), etc., works out housing, alumni travel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Like when Marquette played out in NYC at the Coaches v. Cancer. Or when they play in their Thanksgiving tournaments. There is a sponsoring organization that sells television rights, recruits and selects the teams (likely in conjunction with the network), etc., works out housing, alumni travel, etc.
    That is why schools like Michigan State have been creative in looking to get neutral site games, as the BTN gets all the home games after ESPN makes their pick, like Fox with the Big East. I still really like that 4 team, 3 city matchup with Michigan State, Florida, Texas, and North Carolina. I wish MU could get in on something like that one.

I think it would be fun to be part of a simple double-header at the United Center. Bring in Marquette, ND, Indiana and Illinois and you would have a great atmosphere.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast