Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Archie Miller re-ups with Dayton through 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    I guess we can just agree to disagree, but I really don't see that Dayton would enhance the national perception of the conference, or add to the prestige of the conference at the top.
    In the past 10 years Dayton has made the NCAA tourney 3 times, and this year they were last four in and won a play in game in their own gym to make the first weekend.
    Dayton is great from a philosophical fit. Similar school in terms of religion, they invest in basketball, fervent fanbase, they may not be a major market, but DePaul has a major market and they suck.

I think Dayton is a great fit as a 12th team. Absolutely ideal in that they mesh well with the rest of the league and currently are performing at a high level. But I wouldn't bring Dayton in just for Dayton. If we did add UConn or VCU, I would say get Dayton as #12. If we found that ideal East Coast school that was a must-add, Dayton would be a great choice to be the Midwest school to balance that out. But bringing them in just because they're Dayton? That's not good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    I really don't see any one school or two schools being a must add, or any kind of consensus even on this board.
    Some like Dayton, SLU, Davidson, Richmond, Wichita, etc. Need one east and one west. Now think that all 9 schools must agree. Very tough.

If there was one school that everyone wanted to bring on, like a UConn, I could see going with just 11 schools and still playing a round robin.

Does anyone know the actual length of the TV deal? I know 12 years, but is there a point where either party (Big East or Fox) can pull out or call for a renegotiation?
    I mostly agree. There are only 3 schools out there that could conceivably do both - add viewers to the FS1 numbers and enhance the conference's basketball reputation -- UCONN, Gonzaga and Notre Dame. Unfortunately, I don't see UCONN dropping football any time soon; Gonzaga can't work unless it's for basketball only and no other conference would take their other sports without hoops; Notre Dame belongs in our conference but as long as football drives the bus in college sports, they're staying put. Any of these three want to join and we go to 11 and keep the round robin format.

I don't see how any adding any of the other mentioned schools (in spite of Witchita State and Dayton's recent success) would add value to the conference.

The chance of UConn dropping football is the same as Marquette dropping basketball.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Stop with this UConn. It has football.
    Okay...we all know this. Seriously, we all know this. I made a joke about it earlier in this thread. But the reason UConn is always used as an example is twofold: first, they have a long history with the Big East and thus make sense, and second, they are a perennial power and would be a no-brainer in terms of the pedigree of program if you could get them in.

We all know they have football. We all know that the league doesn't want programs with football. We all know that UConn isn't viable. They are used as an example, nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Okay...we all know this. Seriously, we all know this. I made a joke about it earlier in this thread. But the reason UConn is always used as an example is twofold: first, they have a long history with the Big East and thus make sense, and second, they are a perennial power and would be a no-brainer in terms of the pedigree of program if you could get them in.

We all know they have football. We all know that the league doesn't want programs with football. We all know that UConn isn't viable. They are used as an example, nothing more, nothing less.
    I know, but it's sound like a guy wanting to get back with his x-girlfriend when she left her boyfriend for another girl.
    March Madness starts in November

I know, but it's sound like a guy wanting to get back with his x-girlfriend when she left her boyfriend for another girl.
    Oh great. Now you're giving Caribou some impure thoughts during Lent.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Dayton adds nothing. Why go beyond 10? The coaches don't like playing two opponents only once. You won't get more teams in the tourney. The school does not add prestige to the conference. The school will not help you the next time you have to renegotiate the tv contract. Why would you add them? Did you notice that the top two RPI conferences (Big East and the Big 12) has 10 teams each. Less garbage at the bottom leads to higher RPI. I can't think of a single good reason to add Dayton.

I'll try to remember to use Duke as an example going forward

Quote Originally Posted by MU88 View Post
    Dayton adds nothing. Why go beyond 10? The coaches don't like playing two opponents only once. You won't get more teams in the tourney. The school does not add prestige to the conference. The school will not help you the next time you have to renegotiate the tv contract. Why would you add them? Did you notice that the top two RPI conferences (Big East and the Big 12) has 10 teams each. Less garbage at the bottom leads to higher RPI. I can't think of a single good reason to add Dayton.

Because conference RPI is irrelevant, I don't care what the coaches opinions are, and getting good schools in the conference is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Because conference RPI is irrelevant, I don't care what the coaches opinions are, and getting good schools in the conference is a good thing.
    To tie into another discussion, THIS is why I want Lavin gone from St John's. The guy sucks in March. Since arriving at St John's, he has 1 Big East Tourney win. That's on his home court! Also has a 5-game losing streak in the BET. Zero NCAA wins, one NIT win.

Having a good RPI is nice for seeding and bids, but when push comes to shove, I would rather have guys that win. Lavin doesn't do that and hasn't since he left Westwood.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast