Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Archie Miller re-ups with Dayton through 2022

One thing about this extension...is it an extension to keep Miller there, or to raise the price when he inevitably leaves? I don't see him staying at Dayton for the long run, at least as long as they are in the A-10. As we know all too well, signing a new extension is never a guarantee a guy will stick around.

At this point I like staying at 10. Who knows what happens to football conferences in 10 years.
    Will schools like Texas get tired of making the same money as Iowa State / Kansas and go independent for football? Will other schools, like UConn, think they can make more money as an independent for football while playing all other sports in the Big East?

Will tv be as lucrative in 10 years as it is now? Who knows how we will be watching games in 10 years.
    Seemed just a couple years ago I used my cell phone to make phone calls, my tv to watch games, and my computer to look up information on the web.

If you add Dayton and Richmond / Davidson to the Big East, does that make the Big East that much better a conference from a national perception improve?
    Then what if in 5 years UConn wants in? Do we go to 13 teams, 14 teams, or more?

Unless it is an obvious no brainer of an add, I say stay at 10. I like knowing Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, etc will be coming to Milwaukee every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    At this point I like staying at 10. Who knows what happens to football conferences in 10 years.
    Will schools like Texas get tired of making the same money as Iowa State / Kansas and go independent for football? Will other schools, like UConn, think they can make more money as an independent for football while playing all other sports in the Big East?

Will tv be as lucrative in 10 years as it is now? Who knows how we will be watching games in 10 years.
    Seemed just a couple years ago I used my cell phone to make phone calls, my tv to watch games, and my computer to look up information on the web.

If you add Dayton and Richmond / Davidson to the Big East, does that make the Big East that much better a conference from a national perception improve?
    Then what if in 5 years UConn wants in? Do we go to 13 teams, 14 teams, or more?

Unless it is an obvious no brainer of an add, I say stay at 10. I like knowing Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, etc will be coming to Milwaukee every year.
    Well said and I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post

I think it is a losing proposition to try to predict the future. Who knows if UConn drops football five or ten years from now. But are you really going to hold open a space just in case?

If IWB is correct and the BE can add two teams without effecting the per school value of the television contract, I think expansion should happen ASAP. If not, obviously that's a problem. But it still should be something worth exploring. Getting good schools into the conference is a good idea.

Scheduling with 12 would be interesting. Do you simply go with an unbalanced schedule, or try to do divisions? If you do two divisions of 6, do you do home and home in division and play the other division once each? It works great from a schedule perspective, but only 16 games per team. That would take the total number of games from 90 to 96, not a big addition. If you go unbalanced, you get 108 games. My guess is Fox would want the 18 game schedule regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I think it is a losing proposition to try to predict the future. Who knows if UConn drops football five or ten years from now. But are you really going to hold open a space just in case?

If IWB is correct and the BE can add two teams without effecting the per school value of the television contract, I think expansion should happen ASAP. If not, obviously that's a problem. But it still should be something worth exploring. Getting good schools into the conference is a good idea.
    I don't think you meant it this way, but it kind of comes off as "since it won't negatively impact the conference's revenue stream let's add teams for the sake of adding teams." I get that it would possibly add a little additional revenue with more chances for tourney credits, more eyeballs, etc. But would the Big East brand really be helped by adding any of the previously mentioned teams (Dayton, SLU, Davidson)? My answer is maybe for Dayton and no for the others. And like Goose said, until that "maybe" is turned into a definite yes, why make the move?

I really don't see any one school or two schools being a must add, or any kind of consensus even on this board.
    Some like Dayton, SLU, Davidson, Richmond, Wichita, etc. Need one east and one west. Now think that all 9 schools must agree. Very tough.

If there was one school that everyone wanted to bring on, like a UConn, I could see going with just 11 schools and still playing a round robin.

Does anyone know the actual length of the TV deal? I know 12 years, but is there a point where either party (Big East or Fox) can pull out or call for a renegotiation?

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    I don't think you meant it this way, but it kind of comes off as "since it won't negatively impact the conference's revenue stream let's add teams for the sake of adding teams." I get that it would possibly add a little additional revenue with more chances for tourney credits, more eyeballs, etc. But would the Big East brand really be helped by adding any of the previously mentioned teams (Dayton, SLU, Davidson)? My answer is maybe for Dayton and no for the others. And like Goose said, until that "maybe" is turned into a definite yes, why make the move?

Because I have come to a conclusion about conferences and perceptions. People care more about what's at the top of a conference than what's at the bottom, so I think adding teams without subtracting from per school revenue makes a great deal of sense. Even that means adding a team like Richmond, if it means getting a team like Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Because I have come to a conclusion about conferences and perceptions. People care more about what's at the top of a conference than what's at the bottom, so I think adding teams without subtracting from per school revenue makes a great deal of sense. Even that means adding a team like Richmond, if it means getting a team like Dayton.
    I guess we can just agree to disagree, but I really don't see that Dayton would enhance the national perception of the conference, or add to the prestige of the conference at the top.

In the past 10 years Dayton has made the NCAA tourney 3 times, and this year they were last four in and won a play in game in their own gym to make the first weekend. In the last 20 years they have been in the tourney 6 times. I think making the tourney 3 out of 10 years translates to getting more in tourney credits than they earn from the conference.
    Last edited by Goose85; 03-26-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast