Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Archie Miller re-ups with Dayton through 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    If Dayton kept Archie, I think the answer would be yes. Over the past two years, they earned 7 tournament shares. That's a pretty sizable amount. Though if Archie leaves, I'm not sure they sustain that. They'll likely have trouble sustaining it even if he stays, but I do think they would be able to perennially make the tournament with him, and that alone for me would be worth it. It's not just about TV money, but March success that gives a program value.

But it all comes down to who comes with them. If it's Wichita State, fine, do it. But as Jim noted, it would probably have to be an East Coast team, and as I asked, are there any of value? VCU has enough cachet and is a reliable enough bet to make the Dance that I'd say yes. I'm slowly starting to believe Smart might become their Mark Few. But who else on the East Coast is worth it? I'm not sure anyone is.
    I personally would add VCU, Davidson, Wichita St, and Dayton. Davidson would be risky though since McKillop is getting up there in age, but he also has a high basketball IQ.

If Archie leaves, Dayton has the fan support and the administrative support for basketball. You throw the Big East into the picture, and I think they could hire a good coach.

As an aside, and I know I am in the large minority of caring about this, but Dayton's women's program is really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Any expansion needs to likely include one East Coast team for every Midwest team. Georgetown seems to have veto power on VCU, who else is there? Richmond? Rhode Island? Old Dominion? Charlotte? The only viable option seems to be the old chestnut about UConn dropping football. Can't see it.
    Don't forget ODU and Charlotte are in Conf. USA as FBS football members.
    March Madness starts in November

Good read from "Frank the Tank"
    http://frankthetank.me/2015/03/25/up...down-the-line/
    Wichita State is basically the Boise State of basketball. Fans like them, university presidents look down on them.

Had no idea they had FBS football. All the more reason expansion will be difficult. Just not that many good non-football, East Coast basketball schools.

No it does not add more to the pie.

Look at it right now, based off of this year.

TV Revenue
    Right now the Fox TV contract is 12 years, $500 million. That breaks out to $4.16 million per school, per year.
    If they expand to 12, contract moves to 12 years, $600 million. That breaks out to $4.16 million per school, per year.

That is a wash.

NCAA Tourney Credits
    So far this year the Big East has earned 11 credits. That is $2,809,169 - which is $280,916 per school.
    Add 2 teams and Dayton's 3 credits, now 14 credits. That is $3,575,306 - which is $297,942 per school.

TV wise - That is an additional $17,026 per school. Not a big deal when it comes to the big picture, but certainly adding to the pie.

However, if Xavier beats Arizona, that is another credit. If the $255,379 credit is split by 10, each school gets $25,537. If by 12 then $21,281. Again, not huge, but every credit earned is $4,256 less per school.

Overall the expansion is the same for TV, but for NCAA tourney credits, each school is losing $4,256 per credit, so you have to ensure that the new teams coming would need to make that up in tourney credits each and every year.
    Last edited by IWB; 03-26-2015 at 12:07 PM.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

If they expand to 12, contract moves to 12 years, $600 million. That breaks out to $4.16 million per school, per year.

I heard of that in 2012, does that deal still hold true today by FOX?

Didn't Dayton earn 3 credits? I was under the impression the First Four games still count.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    No it does not add more to the pie.

Look at it right now, based off of this year.

TV Revenue
    Right now the Fox TV contract is 12 years, $500 million. That breaks out to $4.16 million per school, per year.

That is a wash.
    Is that built into the TV deal, or would Fox decide the bump based on the teams added?

MU/Panther - yes, those are the numbers I went off of, and I am not sure that has changed.

Alan - You are correct and I have adjusted.

Goose85 - When the contract was signed the reports said the deal was 12 years, $500 million, but that the number "Could grow to $600 million if they expanded to 12 teams".
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I have been in the minority here, opposing Wichita State, so I have kept quiet on the topic. I agree with the Presidents. I do not see the fit at all. Having lived in Wichita for several years, the people are fantastic. Great fans. They do support their team. I just do not see the fit with the university or with the other programs. Basketball has been more cold than hot over the years, as well.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast