Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Round of 32-Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    I'm talking about since that Final Four. When Nova is still playing the second weekend again, get back to me.
    We will be in communication then right around March 20th, 2016.
    #BringShakaHome

How about the two-time defending ACC regular season champion going out in the second round (after going out in the Sweet 16 the year before)? Does not discredit what Virginia has done in the last two regular seasons.
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    How about the two-time defending ACC regular season champion going out in the second round (after going out in the Sweet 16 the year before)? Does not discredit what Virginia has done in the last two regular seasons.
    Agreed. One and done tournaments can be tough. So much depends on match-ups, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Agreed. One and done tournaments can be tough. So much depends on match-ups, etc.
    And when the king of one and done tournaments (Izzo) coaches a style that ruins the game, it is tough to take that super seriously.
    #BringShakaHome

I agree that one and done can be brutal, but when you lose 5-6 times in a row to lower seeds, that's a trend. At the least it indicates there is something more there than bad matchups.

It feels like the Big East currently just isn't producing complete teams. Nova and Butler have good guards but not enough quality up front when people take away the three. Georgetown has strong front court guys, but rarely has enough quality guards. This year only Xavier and Providence were really balanced. Xavier is still dancing, Providence was undone by miserable shootingn

This is one thing I like about how Wojo is constructing his lineup. He has recruited a guy at every position. Need guys at both phases of the game to go far.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    I agree that one and done can be brutal, but when you lose 5-6 times in a row to lower seeds, that's a trend. At the least it indicates there is something more there than bad matchups.

It feels like the Big East currently just isn't producing complete teams. Nova and Butler have good guards but not enough quality up front when people take away the three. Georgetown has strong front court guys, but rarely has enough quality guards. This year only Xavier and Providence were really balanced. Xavier is still dancing, Providence was undone by miserable shootingn

This is one thing I like about how Wojo is constructing his lineup. He has recruited a guy at every position. Need guys at both phases of the game to go far.
    Nova was a deserving number one seed. How much more complete could they have been?

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Nova was a deserving number one seed. How much more complete could they have been?
    Besides their shooters not hitting shots, Ochefu missed a number of good looks that he normally converts. Just played their worst game of the year at the absolute worst time. I believe that their subtle shift away from Pinkston on offense hurt the team and their balance on offense, but expect the presence of Omari Spellman to change that (and if Spellman does not enroll this year, I believe that Ochefu will be a bigger part of the offense).
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    And when the king of one and done tournaments (Izzo) coaches a style that ruins the game, it is tough to take that super seriously.
    1) How is Izzo the king of one and done tournaments?
    2) How is his style ruining the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    1) How is Izzo the king of one and done tournaments?
    2) How is his style ruining the game?
    Look at all the praise for him and his March exploits after their win today.

I'll expound much more on number two. His success and subsequent emulation from competitors has made college basketball frequently unwatchable. All of the clutching and grabbing on defense and fouling that gets uncalled is the hallmark of the Izzo defense. The refs do not have the stomach to call fouls on every possession, so only the most blatant fouls are called. When college basketball made a well intentioned if not half-hearted attempt to clean up the game by calling fouls on all the bumping and grabbing, Izzo was leading the protests against the refs actually following the rulebook.
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    They were, without a doubt, a deserving 1-seed. But when the shots didn't fall they had no recourse.

The tournament IS about matchups. But teams like Izzo has are great at exploiting them because he always has good guards and versatile bigs. They play great defense, but have both the discipline to play slow and enough athleticism to play up tempo. The great tourney coaches have teams that can both exploit matchups but are somewhat matchup proof because they can adapt and play the way their opponent wants.

I usually hate him, but Barkley is talking about it now. The Big East is full of teams that always play their system and win with it. In the Tournament, you need to be able to win multiple ways.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast